New to FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Ko_ki

New to FreeCAD

Postby Ko_ki » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Hello All,

So, I am new not only to FreeCAD but also to Python.
I have set myself the task of ridding myself of payed for programs and have chosen to, wisely or not, to learn the in's and outs of both FreeCAD and Python.

My current goal is to be able to take raw data from 3D scanner and create from it, 3D models of the things that I have scanned.

I have already searched the forum for relevant topic's, however I am really looking for advice starting from the ground up.

I look forward to hearing from you all.
yorik
Site Admin

Re: New to FreeCAD

Postby yorik » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi,
You definitely want to start with learning the internals of FreeCAD, and also learn a bit of python (it's not hard). For FreeCAD I suggest you start by modeling something simple (look for tutorials on the wiki Tutorials or on youtube), for python there is some material on the Power users hub but much, much more generic learning material around on the net. Once you get to know those 2, you'll quickly begin to see the relation and what you can do with them.

If you encounter specific problems, just ask here on the forum, but it'll be better to start exploring a bit for yourself first...
jreinhardt

Postby jreinhardt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Hey,

for the processing of data from a 3D Scanner Meshlab is probably more suitable than FreeCAD.

Greetings
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
r-frank

Postby r-frank » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Hello Ko_ki.

The whole Process is called "Reverse Engineering".
FreeCAD has a "Reverse Engeneering" Workbench.

Your Scanner will first try to locate the outer surfaces of your objects and will then store
the coordinates of measured points in 3D Space in a "point cloud" data structure.

The next step would be to create a mesh (or even a meshed object) from this data.

Meshlab for example can be used to do this. Here is a Tutorial for that and here another one.
The resulting File is often an STL-File.
[I don't know at the moment if FreeCAD has features to do that as well ...]

Making editable Features in a CAD application is the next step in this "Reverse Engineering" Process.
Some commercial CAD's have quite intelligent (and expensive) Sub-Modules for that.
Here is an interesting Thread about this topic.

Hope this post provides some starting points for you.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
Ko_ki

Postby Ko_ki » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Thank you for the replies so far.

They have definitely made me feel as if I am in the right place.

Mesh lab seems like a very good tool and I am sure it will prove to be useful.

Also for anyone who reads this thread in the future. I have been using

www.codecademy.com

to learn python it has been very helpful indeed.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

You can have a look at the library pointclouds which is licensed under BSD and offers a wide range of great algorithms. Some time ago I created a test branch on SF which creates a mesh from a given point cloud.

With the tests I ran I didn't get perfect meshes because there were a couple of triangles with wrong orientation and there were some smaller holes. However, in FreeCAD's mesh module we have some simple hole-filling algorithms and an algorithm to harmonize the orientation of triangles.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:17 pm

wmayer wrote:You can have a look at the library pointclouds which is licensed under BSD and offers a wide range of great algorithms. Some time ago I created a test branch on SF which creates a mesh from a given point cloud.

With the tests I ran I didn't get perfect meshes because there were a couple of triangles with wrong orientation and there were some smaller holes. However, in FreeCAD's mesh module we have some simple hole-filling algorithms and an algorithm to harmonize the orientation of triangles.
I tried those mesh repair tools when I made the icons they all seemed to work well.

Werner was there any reason why you didn't push that test branch into master?
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Werner was there any reason why you didn't push that test branch into master?
Because you need all the pcl libs. On Linux they exist but on Windows they are not part of the LibPack. The recently uploaded x64 LibPack has them.
Ko_ki

Postby Ko_ki » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm

wmayer wrote:You can have a look at the library pointclouds which is licensed under BSD and offers a wide range of great algorithms.
these libraries look great, the segmenting library looks especially useful. However I am far too ignorant to know what to do with them. I do see that there are tutorials available, need to get this python business down first.
Ko_ki

Postby Ko_ki » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 pm

wmayer,

would you suggest this over mesh lab?
if so, why?