[RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: [RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Post by chennes »

@grandcross just a heads-up that I've submitted a quick PR to your repo to fix a bug in your package.xml file -- I'm hoping to get this merged before the release of FreeCAD 0.20.

https://github.com/davesrocketshop/Rocket/pull/31
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Good catch. Merged.
artao

Post by artao »

I'm brand new to FreeCAD, but have been using OpenRocket for awhile. I specifically DLed FreeCAD just today simply to make detailed and dimensioned plans for printing out. I'm quite interested in this workbench. Particularly the import from OpenRocket.
Is this still being developed? After May 2021 this thread went pretty much totally silent. It would be a tragedy if this project were to die.
Is what I just installed from within FreeCAD the current version?
Thanks.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

The last update to the workbench (https://github.com/davesrocketshop/Rocket) was 2 days ago. Looks alive and healthy.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

It's very much alive.

OpenRocket import is still being developed. The individual features needed to be available first, but they're pretty much done. Bug fixes and imports are the priority at the moment. Import is a bigger feature so it may be some time before the next release.

In the meantime, any feedback from users is welcome especially anything you think needs improving. Bear in mind that I'm the only developer at this point and I'm working around a day job
artao

Post by artao »

Thanks!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Can't wait till more devs start contributing to the Rocket Workbench! This workbench will be a game changer
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
artao

Post by artao »

At the risk of seeming pushy, may I ask about progress? Particularly the OpenRocket import. I DID mention your project to OR's devs via their Facebook group. I hope something might come from it.
Be well. :)
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

artao wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:11 pm At the risk of seeming pushy, may I ask about progress? Particularly the OpenRocket import. I DID mention your project to OR's devs via their Facebook group. I hope something might come from it.
Be well. :)
Progress on this is unfortunately slow. It's a bigger development so the smaller stuff always wins out. There is progress though. My goal is to have it working early in the new year, preferably before vNARCON, but that's a goal not a promise.

I will be presenting this at vNARCON, so register if you haven't already :D
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Successful OpenRocket import!
OpenRocketImportTree.png
OpenRocketImportTree.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Of course I still need to work on the automatic sizing and placement, but that's just details :lol:
OpenRocketImport.png
OpenRocketImport.png (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Still a lot of work to do but just to reassure you it's being worked on