[RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jonasb

Re: [RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Post by jonasb »

grandcross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:23 am
  • Parachute ??? (What would this look like?)
Maybe the glider workbench can help with this point: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13497
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

jonasb wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm Maybe the glider workbench can help with this point: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13497
So perhaps another feature that's redundant, not that that's a problem :D Great find!
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

From user Fattbank64 on the rocketry forum (TRF) https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/r ... ch.164298/ came the suggestion for a transition generator. This would have been part of any importers anyways but now I'm thinking it would be as useful as the nose cone generator!

That and RASAero have me thinking a fin designer would be useful as well to create more detailed airfoils, tapered fins, etc.These features would also be used with any importers.

I think this is critical mass for a workbench. I think it's time!

Summary for initial implementation:

1. Nose Cones
2. Transitions
3. Fins and Fin Cans
4. Importers

Keep the features coming!
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

jonasb wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm
  • Parachute ??? (What would this look like?)
Maybe the glider workbench can help with this point: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13497
I need to check out and learn the glider workbench as I want to do some glider/ram air designs, but yes it may well do a lot of stuff that's needed for rocketry. Currently things like open rocket use mass and drag coefficient and diameter of parachute data to simulate descent. I have written a few tools to help me with making more interesting chute designs like the annular chute below. I'd love a tool that you could input a mass and desired terminal velocity and it could then help you design different types of parachutes. annular, crossform, ballute etc
annular_chute.jpg
annular_chute.jpg (204.26 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

grandcross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm From user Fattbank64 on the rocketry forum (TRF) https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/r ... ch.164298/ came the suggestion for a transition generator. This would have been part of any importers anyways but now I'm thinking it would be as useful as the nose cone generator!

That and RASAero have me thinking a fin designer would be useful as well to create more detailed airfoils, tapered fins, etc.These features would also be used with any importers.

I think this is critical mass for a workbench. I think it's time!

Summary for initial implementation:

1. Nose Cones
2. Transitions
3. Fins and Fin Cans
4. Importers

Keep the features coming!
Transitions is a good call. Fins and Fin Cans could be interesting, be nice to have something that lays out nice "through wall" designs for fins. When I think of what you would need to know to be able to generate through fins though (motor mount tube, centering rings etc) you are close to what you might need to design the whole rocket :) Importer of openrocket would be amazing for me. Do the rough design and simulation and the CP CG in there and then fine tune and add real detail and produce parts from FreeCAD.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

A rocket WB with one tool to draw a stage.
Attachments
Rocket.zip
(21.43 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

johnwang wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 pm A rocket WB with one tool to draw a stage.
Thanks! I'll look at this ASAP!
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

• RASAero - ?
Maybe just output a file for RASAero, so RASAero can open it and do the calculation.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

grandcross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:24 pm Thanks! I'll look at this ASAP!
I copied your code, but draw the stage in WB.
Interesting, one side is open and the other side is closed.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

johnwang wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 pm
  • RASAero - ?
Maybe just output a file for RASAero, so RASAero can open it and do the calculation.
That's mostly my thought, although it may be possible to do a little better. For example. RASAero can import Rocksim files, but these have incomplete fin info. The fin design tool could take these extra features into account. And of course import is also a nice to have, and the MDI style interface mentioned earlier