[RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grandcross

Re: [RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Post by grandcross »

I've added internationalization support, including generating the translation files, but without any actual translations. Going forward, new development will all be internationalized.

In terms of translations, I don't think the initial release should require them. They can be added as a dot release if required.

For languages, are there standard languages to support? Should we wait for specific requests before submitting for translation? Being uni-lingual English I haven't had to worry about this, and I guess it will depend on where the rocketry user community is active. Thoughts?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

grandcross wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:56 pm I've added internationalization support, including generating the translation files, but without any actual translations. Going forward, new development will all be internationalized.

In terms of translations, I don't think the initial release should require them. They can be added as a dot release if required.

For languages, are there standard languages to support? Should we wait for specific requests before submitting for translation? Being uni-lingual English I haven't had to worry about this, and I guess it will depend on where the rocketry user community is active. Thoughts?
You are a visionary, my bro. Thank you for doing this.
You could start .ts files for popular languages, the 'If you build it they will come' approach. But you could also mention in the README.md for folks to open an issue if they are willing to translate the workbench in to their native language.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:16 pm You could start .ts files for popular languages, the 'If you build it they will come' approach. But you could also mention in the README.md for folks to open an issue if they are willing to translate the workbench in to their native language.
The README.md idea is a good one. I'll do that. As for the popular languages, any idea what they would be?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

grandcross wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:16 pm You could start .ts files for popular languages, the 'If you build it they will come' approach. But you could also mention in the README.md for folks to open an issue if they are willing to translate the workbench in to their native language.
The README.md idea is a good one. I'll do that. As for the popular languages, any idea what they would be?
Looking at https://crowdin.com/project/freecad Spanish, German, French, Italian, Basque, Brazilian Portuguese would be good initial choices
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Well, I've followed the steps to submit the workbench for inclusion in the Addons. This will require some work by the official maintainers, so don't expect instantaneous availability. I am a little confused about how it gets added to the FreeCAD-addons repository though, whether that's done by the maintainers or if I need to generate a pull request. It's not mentioned in the steps to integration https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons

Documentation is started, but is very much a work in progress. I hope to get it finished by the end of the weekend. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Rocket_Workbench

At this point, the module will be treated as stable, with only bug fixes being made available except through manual install. New features will be merged when complete. I'm already working on new stuff :D

In the interim, show us what you're making!
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

IMPORTANT:

When installing from the source .ZIP file, the contents expands to Rocket-1.0. This needs to be renamed as Rocket.

If you do not you will have trouble accessing icon files and similar. The output will show something like this:

Code: Select all

10:22:47 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/RocketWorkbench.svg
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_NoseCone.svg 
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_Transition.svg 
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_BodyTube.svg 
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_CenteringRing.svg 
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_Bulkhead.svg 
10:23:04 Cannot find icon: /home/<username>/.FreeCAD/Mod/Rocket/Resources/icons/Rocket_Fin.svg 
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Use this code for your icons. Put it to __init__.py file in your wb main file directory. Import it when defining your icon. That will save you from rewrite file locations every time you changed file name.

Code: Select all

ICONPATH = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "resources")
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

grandcross wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 pm As for the popular languages, any idea what they would be?
It's rocketry, ideal languages are:
American, Russian, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, European (english, spanish, french, german, dutch, turk)... :D (or follow Kunda's perhaps more illuminated advice)
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Since it has come up, it is worth noting that the only fin type supported at the moment is trapezoidal. More fin types will come in the next release.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

The workbench is now included in the Addon Manager! No more messing with git or zip files :D