Google Summer of Code 2021 - Call for ideas

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Re: Google Summer of Code 2021 - Call for ideas

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:04 am Also, who is interested in mentoring this year?
I am interested 8-)

Ideas:
  • Add automatic reinforcement tool for footing and slab similar like column and beam reinforcement tools.
  • Improvements in reinforcement drawing generation tools:
    • Front, top and left view automatically placed on a single sheet
    • Draw symbols (like a circle with dot, cross etc) for longitudinal bars rather dot. From these symbols, the user knows the type of bar and it's the diameter.
    • Improve dimension and annotation stuff in drawings.
  • Make Rebar shape cut list and bar bending schedule visible inside FreeCAD window.
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

amrit3701 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:57 pm
Hi @jtm2020hyo, Could you brief your idea a lit bit more? :)

I think in 2 ways

1 create generative design for primitives, (slabs, column, beams, etc) I mean create automatic rebar depending to FEM loads, maximizing load efficiency.

2 create generative design for maximize material efficiency, i mean add rebar just where the FEM loads request it.

watsug

Post by watsug »

[General] An tool searcher that can be brought up to search by name for functions, instead of navigating menus or finding icons.

Like blender has: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... earch.html This is super useful for quickly finding the lesser used but essential tools that you only remember the name of. This also has to include some UX work to determine and test different ways to do it.

bonus Points:
- Make it contextual, ie if a sketch is selected tools/functions that can be applied to the sketch is shown.
- Search by tool descriptions as well, not just name.
jolugama

Post by jolugama »

[general] In saveAs

shortcut in easy saveAs and in its box, if you press the + key it adds a number (the next one). If you don't have it, it would be 001. This is done by blender and saves a lot of time. Example:
The file is called myPiece, if I press "+" it writes myPiece_001, if I write it again, myPiece_002.

It seems silly but it saves a lot of time.
flynth

Post by flynth »

wieszak17 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:06 am -sketch2macro feature: You draw some sketch, click and you have it available as macro just like slot, hexagon etc now, ready to be inserted into another sketch.
I second this idea. Including writing usage wiki page this sounds like a cool project for a month of student's time.

Also, IMO the idea of writing developer documentation as a student project is a good one too. Good technical documentation writing in general is a very useful skill in software development and if described properly could be interesting.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Although there have been some rule changes that may have affected this, in previous years one of the things they often repeat is that the primary product has to be code. I do agree with you re: documentation though.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
hmk

Post by hmk »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:32 pm Although there have been some rule changes that may have affected this, in previous years one of the things they often repeat is that the primary product has to be code.
There is also Season of Docs: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

flynth wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 pm
wieszak17 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:06 am -sketch2macro feature: You draw some sketch, click and you have it available as macro just like slot, hexagon etc now, ready to be inserted into another sketch.
I second this idea. Including writing usage wiki page this sounds like a cool project for a month of student's time.

Also, IMO the idea of writing developer documentation as a student project is a good one too. Good technical documentation writing in general is a very useful skill in software development and if described properly could be interesting.
Have started to add this facility to toSketch workbench https://github.com/KeithSloan/toSketch
Currently only recognises Geometries with Points, Lines, Circles, will add more when I can get more details on the addGeometry function
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Out of interest what would sketch2macro achieve that you could not arrive at by using the sketch CarbonCopy facility?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

toSketch workbench see https://github.com/KeithSloan/toSketch creates Geometries for Points, Lines, Circle, ArcOfCircle, Ellipse, BSpline

Do you require that current constraints are also created by the macro?