Feature Request: show orientation in attachment dialog

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb

Feature Request: show orientation in attachment dialog

Postby chrisb » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 am

While attaching there are objects like (empty) Sketches or DatumGeometry, which make it difficult to see where exactly they are attached and how the orientation is.
I propose to show during the attachment process an axis cross with the well know colors red (X), green (Y), blue (Z) in the center showing the orientation. Here is a mockup for a DatumPlane. Without the axis cross there would be no possibility to see where the center is, nor in which direction X, Y and Z go:
SnipScreenshot-6b2abe.png
SnipScreenshot-6b2abe.png (19.16 KiB) Viewed 474 times
The axis cross would be visible while the dialog is open and vanish if it is closed, so no change of any properties is required. However, I could imagine a boolean property "ShowAxisCross", which, if set to true, would show the axis cross permanently.

What do you think?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro

Re: Feature Request: show orientation in attachment dialog

Postby drmacro » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:29 am

a while back I had a thread very similar to this.

basically some sort of feedback as to where the sketch or datum is during attachment.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 am

I was sure that I had already created a ticket; alas, I was wrong.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman

Postby freman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 pm

Yes, this would be very helpful.

Unless the sketch being placed includes some construction lines along the axes ( which is in not necessarily the case ) you are pretty much flying blind and end up having to do the modelling mentally or on paper before attempting the placement.

Showing the axes is a good idea, however, I wonder if that is always enough. The user is attempting to align a sketch, most likely to another sketch or some feature on a model. The axes, while being actual thing which the attachment is keyed to may not be clearly related to the respective features the user needs to align.

I wondered whether making blue lines of a sketch visible during placement would be a useful addition. That would mean the user could add lines to either one or both sketches to assist with alignment if needed. That seems a more general solution.

For example, in the demo screenshot above, presumably the cube is a pad of a square sketch. If the second sketch needs to be aligned half way along one of the sides, the axes indicator will not enable precise placement. Whereas an additional line in the sketch could be added at the right distance to aid alignment.

Below is a case I got caught out with recently. Having only the circle visible, I forgot the small offset. It looked correct but was off because it aligned the axes not the edge of the rectangle. If the full construction of the sketch were visible it would have been explicit and the misalignment would have been apparent.

Probably a simple sketch for placing a hole on a face is a fairly common situation and the number of solid lines does not give much to go on. Showing just the axes as suggested may or may not be sufficient. Also having the full construction detail visible would cover all possible cases.

Does this issue need a feature request?
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-02-14_22-21-54.png
Screenshot_2021-02-14_22-21-54.png (19.23 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm

freman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 pm Does this issue need a feature request?
Can you quick search the tracker to see if the issue exists. If not then add it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
onekk

Postby onekk » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm

I think that a visual indication of the Placement property will be a great improvement, maybe in the same process some helpers to make orientation and placement more user friendly, as it seems on of the big problems to some users.

This visual aid will be very useful, maybe if this is done when you pass the mouse over the object after some milliseconds, like a tooltip and if it willl be user selectable (I hope that there will be a also a command on Scripting side).

Regards

Carlo D.
Il mio Blog: https://onekk-maker.blogspot.com/

Introduzione a FreeCAD in Italiano: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm Can you quick search the tracker to see if the issue exists. If not then add it ?
I had looked it up (see above). I will create a ticket.

While I like freman's proposal to show additionally construction lines, I am less sure with all sketch details including all the constraints. Perhaps we could hear some more voices about that.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm

onekk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm (I hope that there will be a also a command on Scripting side).
Isn't it all there already? You can set the properties for AttachmentOffest, Support,MapPathParameter and MapMode.
onekk

Postby onekk » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm
onekk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm (I hope that there will be a also a command on Scripting side).
Isn't it all there already? You can set the properties for AttachmentOffest, Support,MapPathParameter and MapMode.
Maybe I have misunderstood the post, I see now that is talking about attachment.

I was intending a similar approach in the "standard" view.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards

Carlo D.
Il mio Blog: https://onekk-maker.blogspot.com/

Introduzione a FreeCAD in Italiano: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc
freman

Postby freman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:23 pm

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:27 pm While I like freman's proposal to show additionally construction lines, I am less sure with all sketch details including all the constraints. Perhaps we could hear some more voices about that.
I'm not sure I said constraints should be included. That could get cluttered and I don't think that level of detail would be useful in guiding placement.

I was suggesting but reference and construction lines since, as in one of my sketches here, the only construction line was a circle floating is space. No help at all in placing the sketch. If reference lines are included, this will necessarily show how any sparse constructions are placed and would even allow the user to add an extra reference line to guide placement if he needed to.