[09/04/22][LinkStage3][UI] VertUI / Midnight UI

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Petrikas

Re: [14/03/21][LinkStage3][UI] Vertical UI for large screens (4K)

Post by Petrikas »

I'll keep this thread updated, in case this becomes topical in the future.
Style-sheet download in the the first post.

Updated: 14/03/2021

Changelog:
- Small bug fix that made push-buttons overlap in some third-party add-ons
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Petrikas wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:44 pm I'll keep this thread updated, in case this becomes topical in the future.
:+1:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

I made a really dumb script that changes the colour values in link.user.cfg automatically.
Since I have a test-sample of 1, I need someone else to give it a go.

https://github.com/StudioPetrikas/FC_Ve ... Colours.py
(Currently rewriting with an XML parsers for legibility)

Here's how to test it (on a clean install):
1. Copy the ProDark-Sidebar.qss to Stylesheets
2. Select ProDark-Sidebar in the Preferences in FreeCAD LinkStage3
3. Close FreeCAD LinkStage3
4. Open you FreeCAD user settings folder on your OS (C:\Users\---\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD for Windows)
5. Make a backup copy of link.user.cfg
6. Copy the Colours.py into the same folder
7. Run the Colours.py script

This will change the viewport background colour, Console + Output colours and Sketcher colours.
Last edited by Petrikas on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Cool!
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

Small update:

I'm making a one click installer that will set all the colour values and set the toolbars vertical to the left.

I have discovered something interesting. If Persistent Toolbars is installed, the layout will be saved to both link.user.cfg AND the registry. But if I delete the registry keys, FreeCAD will load the layout from the .cfg file. Which is awesome!

That means, to have the Vertical UI theme, the installer needs to:
- Backup and Delete Qt registry keys (in progress)
- Backup link.user.cfg (done)
- Set Persistent Toolbar settings in .cfg (done)
- Set UI colours in .cfg (done)
- Set Output/Console colours in .cfg (done)
- Set Sketcher colours in .cfg (done)

The question now is, how frowned upon making an installer that would (first backup and then) delete the FreeCAD / QT registry keys? (they're made redundant by the Persistent Toolbar add-on.

Secondly, is there a correct procedure to automate "Persistent Toolbars" and "Toolbar Style" addons? Simply copying the folders to Appdata/FreeCAD/Mod works and is recognised by the Add-on manager. Or should the installer ask the user to do it manually via the add-on manager?

Progress so far for the curious:
sc 2021-03-21 15_44_31.jpg
sc 2021-03-21 15_44_31.jpg (428.25 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This is so exciting! Thank you for your work on this!
Petrikas wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm The question now is, how frowned upon making an installer that would (first backup and then) delete the FreeCAD / QT registry keys? (they're made redundant by the Persistent Toolbar add-on.
No, in fact it's very close to my idea in issue #4443. Config files are really delicate and a lot effort goes in to them (personal interface customizations that take a long time to configure etc...) we definitely need to back them up if we're going to change them in any way.
Petrikas wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm Secondly, is there a correct procedure to automate "Persistent Toolbars" and "Toolbar Style" addons? Simply copying the folders to Appdata/FreeCAD/Mod works and is recognised by the Add-on manager. Or should the installer ask the user to do it manually via the add-on manager?
I think it's safe to directly clone from github. In the future we can make this smarter by triggering the addon manager in a different modal dialog with the addon in questions to install. but for now in this experimental stage keep it simple.
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:04 pm This is so exciting! Thank you for your work on this!
Petrikas wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm The question now is, how frowned upon making an installer that would (first backup and then) delete the FreeCAD / QT registry keys? (they're made redundant by the Persistent Toolbar add-on.
No, in fact it's very close to my idea in issue #4443. Config files are really delicate and a lot effort goes in to them (personal interface customizations that take a long time to configure etc...) we definitely need to back them up if we're going to change them in any way.
Petrikas wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm Secondly, is there a correct procedure to automate "Persistent Toolbars" and "Toolbar Style" addons? Simply copying the folders to Appdata/FreeCAD/Mod works and is recognised by the Add-on manager. Or should the installer ask the user to do it manually via the add-on manager?
I think it's safe to directly clone from github. In the future we can make this smarter by triggering the addon manager in a different modal dialog with the addon in questions to install. but for now in this experimental stage keep it simple.
Got it! Thanks for all the answers!
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

Last edited by Petrikas on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meetlat

Re: [25/03/21][LinkStage3][UI] Vertical UI for large screens (4K)

Post by Meetlat »

Can't believe how small you have setup your screen :lol: even on my 4k 32 inch screen everything is extremely tiny in your video ;) .

Anyhow it's nice that you're making a GUI for setting up the theme colors. It looks great! Perhaps you can offer different presets based a light or dark theme. See for similar discussion here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 34#p490826
Petrikas

Re: [25/03/21][LinkStage3][UI] Vertical UI for large screens (4K)

Post by Petrikas »

Meetlat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 am Can't believe how small you have setup your screen :lol: even on my 4k 32 inch screen everything is extremely tiny in your video ;) .

Anyhow it's nice that you're making a GUI for setting up the theme colors. It looks great! Perhaps you can offer different presets based a light or dark theme. See for similar discussion here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 34#p490826
Well, I'm also on a 32". With a 100% scaling in Windows. Not sure, doesn't look tiny to me. I even thought that the UI icons could get even smaller.