[Proposal] Merge Draft WB and Sketcher WB

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragohix769

Re: [Proposal] Merge Draft WB and Sketcher WB

Post by ragohix769 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am
openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
most often i miss snap middle
I agree: Middle point it's missing. To make a middle point in sketcher I have to create a geometry point and make simmetry constraint with a line, it's too complicated. It will be more useful to have some align o guide that convert quickly these kind of basic snapping to a group of constraint.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

The whole discussion makes no sense.

- Machine engineers (Part, PartDesign) work completely different to architect engineers (Arch, Draft). Only a few commands are used from both. So it has more to do with a gui clean up.

- Also this is not possible (not completely, but it is rubbish), because Draft is written in Python and Sketcher in C++.
thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 ammost often i miss snap middle
Then you make a T-junction. Every T-junction is impossible to, pad, revolve, ...... and so on. So it is easily too easy to break the base for 19/20 commands. That it is not implemented i would call it nudgeing, because if it is implemented, then the posts for help will double here. And if someone reallly need this (in 7 years of FreeCAD, i need that so seldon, that count than in one hand), then you can use the symmetry. Just <= 4 clicks (command, one side, opposide, middle or command, element, middle).

Greetings
user1234
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:09 am
thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am
openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am
most often i miss snap middle
I agree: Middle point it's missing.
Then your salvation may be closer than you think!
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:04 am
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 am
abdullah wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:46 pm
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

The whole discussion makes no sense.

- Machine engineers (Part, PartDesign) work completely different to architect engineers (Arch, Draft). Only a few commands are used from both. So it has more to do with a gui clean up.

- Also this is not possible (not completely, but it is rubbish), because Draft is written in Python and Sketcher in C++.
thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 ammost often i miss snap middle
Then you make a T-junction. Every T-junction is impossible to, pad, revolve, ...... and so on. So it is easily too easy to break the sketch base for 19/20 commands. That it is not implemented i would call it nudgeing, because if it is implemented, then the posts for help will double here. And if someone reallly need this (in 7 years of FreeCAD, i need that so seldon, that count than in one hand), then you can use the symmetry. Just <= 4 clicks (command, one side, opposide, middle or command, element, middle).

Greetings
user1234

edit: blue, else out of context
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am ....Then you make a T-junction. Every T-junction is impossible to, pad, revolve, ......
i often had the situation in connection with contruction mode. it may of course be that the confusion is greater than the benefit. only important if it is so in the group of serious users
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

T-connections certainly can make sense if the sketch is used as the base for an Arch_Wall.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Of course it has no sense to have exactly same snapping tools like in draft, but some simple "align" o "guide" that transform easily and quickly to sequence of constraints, it's not a bad idea IMHO.

IE: you can have mid point by making some symmetry constraint, but there is a lot o clics and it's not natural or fast. Or when you make geometry construction or you are making the base of a sketch, it's not a bad idea to have some guide like it exist with snap "extension" to automatically align with other node and convert that to constraints automatically. Other tools useful can be closing loops, because validate sketch (for me at least) it's not working and it's off the sketcher editing mode. Just my 2 cents.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:58 am Just <= 4 clicks (command, one side, opposide, middle or command, element, middle).
It is even simpler, only 3 clicks: it is sufficient to click the line instead of the endpoints :D .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am
Then you make a T-junction. Every T-junction is impossible to, pad, revolve, ...... and so on.
I found the solution for this, I think...

To not break anything you need duplicate the Sketcher multiple times as you wish to not have intersections, then apply Part Boolean Fragments and you already can Extrude without any error
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 am I can well imagine. If you invest time and effort, this is, in my opinion, more sensible than e.g. for ray tracing, shadows, textures etc. because the freecad sketcher is often criticized and it is a basic cad function.
also, these hypothetical features for 3D objects could replace completely Part Desing WB features:

We could Edit Vertex or Split Edges or Face Objects, also, adding Parametric Features for each Edge or Face or Vertex.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxK5ms4w0c

... and If not possible to rewrite Sketcher WB in Python or Draft WB in C++, I think our dev could add Sketcher WB to our Part Design WB, Part WB, and others, because have not much sense creates the wheel again, if we already have Sketcher WB parametric features and Axis features should be possible use such features in each 0D, 1D, 2D, and 3D, objects.

also, I had a dream with Sketcher WB, maybe a day Sketcher could be "projected" to others Faces/Edges/Vertex Objects:

... but I do not mean projection to surface like a shadow, I mean to change the Sketcher XY-plane like "Space-Time mesh" with other Objects