[Proposal] Merge Draft WB and Sketcher WB

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Proposal] Merge Draft WB and Sketcher WB

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Open discussion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 am also, I had a dream with Sketcher WB,
We are not really short of dreams here. If you want to bring this forward, you should think about augmenting your dreams by something more substantial, such as how should Sketcher handle 3dimensional sketches, what happens to the DOF, would it need new constraints, what about external geometry and its projections, would old sketches become invalid etc. etc. etc.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

With Map Mode related to Spacial Mesh as I mentioned we could have something like this:

1 in this Sketcher each Vertical Edge Represent Pipe Diameter with value 100 mm, the Diagonal Line is the Spring Representation

2 Applying this Map Mode we could Bind Sketcher X-infinite-Space to the Circular External Pipe Face very complex like this:

3 Result (aprox):

... I mean, the future for FreeCAD is to do/link/relationate/etc everything with Sketcher WB.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 pm to Spacial Mesh as I mentioned
Can't find any reference to spatial mesh or spacial mesh in this topic.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:52 pm Can't find any reference to spatial mesh or spacial mesh in this topic.
I mean, use Sketcher WB like a paper bent:

... respect to Draft WB and Sketcher WB, really FC team should consider building a Sketcher 2 WB or Draft 2 WB or a hypothetical Drafter 2 WB in the future because could find a dead-end at any point. All other privates have this problem.

with dead-end I mean, for example, Autodesk software development is being too slow that other software like Blender is beating their products and this happen IMHO because is using the incorrect Programing Language, C and similars like C+ C++ C# looks too hard to develop that always stuck in points included Microsoft software because they can not break backward compatibility.

Similar case for Sketcher WB in comparison to Draft WB, Draft WB have more tool than Sketcher WB very sure because of Python vs C++.

In general, I see devs more time trying to no break nothing than creating other tools.

... for this, I am not sure what is need but if Realthunder is creating a "LinkStage3" is possible that FreeCAD already stuck.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:25 pm ... I mean, use Sketcher WB like a paper bent ...
This could possibly give you some ideas?
Wrap/Project Sketch on Curved Surface?

I wonder if sketching on a double curved surface is implemented or even possible? That one probably needs some seriously deep thoughts ...
Anyway, sketching on single curved surfaces seams to, at least, be within reach/possibility.

Hmm, didn't someone create a "sketch-wrap-around-command" (single curved surface) some time ago? Was it for text only? Can't remember...

If you were looking for direct/instant update of your doodles from sketch to surface, I would guess it isn't implemented as of now, but I would happily be proven wrong! :)
LibrEars

Post by LibrEars »

LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am Maybe we should add this to the discussion about combining sketcher and draft : As a beginner I do not want to leave sketcher simply because it feels like I have to learn another tool (draft in this case). So I used copies and copies of copies to quickly repeat the pattern. Of course an array is way more efficient and also parameterized. Since I consider sketcher as the ultimate place for parameterized 2D drawings it could make sense to add the array feature (an array out of clones, mirroring, rotation..) into the sketcher / solver...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am Maybe we should add this to the discussion about combining sketcher and draft : As a beginner I do not want to leave sketcher simply because it feels like I have to learn another tool (draft in this case). So I used copies and copies of copies to quickly repeat the pattern. Of course an array is way more efficient and also parameterized. Since I consider sketcher as the ultimate place for parameterized 2D drawings it could make sense to add the array feature (an array out of clones, mirroring, rotation..) into the sketcher / solver...
From what I learnt from the modeling professoinals here, that may be the wrong approach. You should not put such regular patterns in sketches, you should multiply the things created by them. Not wanting to learn another tool doesn't lead to better models.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 pm
I think Draft WB could evolve, recently I found an unused object called "Block" in FreeCAD, similar to AutoCAD or Blender, FreeCAD has possibilities to isolate or group objects, with this Draft WB could emulate Sketcher WB workflow or maybe replace it completely.