[Render workbench} Getting it to work on Windows!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
howetuft

Re: [Render workbench} Getting it to work on Windows!

Post by howetuft »

Thank you for your feedback, I understand there may be some documentation effort to do.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Sure where should I make a wiki page in the freecad wiki that you can review when done?
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

Just as a hint: The wiki is already pretty clear about that as long as we talk about the wiki of the workbench on github.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-rend ... Cameras.md

Rgrds, m.
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

I am struggling with POV-Ray rendering a simple cube at the moment:

ksnip_20210324-085335.png
ksnip_20210324-085335.png (56.72 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

Code: Select all

Renderer command: C:/Program Files/POV-Ray/v3.7/bin/pvengine64.exe +P +A +W800 +H600 +OC:/Portable Apps/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_latest/temp/FreeCAD_Doc_8e6646b9-00ea-40a2-b77d-3433433d4358_fe5d78_3428/PovrayProject1q8sux5j.png C:/Portable Apps/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_latest/temp/FreeCAD_Doc_8e6646b9-00ea-40a2-b77d-3433433d4358_fe5d78_3428/PovrayProject1q8sux5j.pov
08:51:38  Running the Python command 'Render_Render' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Portable Apps\FreeCAD\FreeCAD_latest\FreeCAD\Mod\Render\Render.py", line 1012, in Activated
    project.Proxy.render()
  File "C:\Portable Apps\FreeCAD\FreeCAD_latest\FreeCAD\Mod\Render\Render.py", line 560, in render
    ImageGui.open(img)

Could not load image file
Luxcore project runs like a charm. POV-Ray throws an error. Did not invest much time in that so far. Any ideas? File enclosed.

Thanks in advance. m.
Attachments
test.FCStd
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I checked your file and I had an issue with the correct location of the Povray template.
After I fixed that it worked for me, i got a blue cube.
I guess you use portable version, but I got the same error when this was broken.

I also had run the Povray installer but I forgot that I already had setup the portable povray version, soooo I am using that one. But maybe you can try to run the povray installer.
Attachments
2021-03-24 11_56_08-.png
2021-03-24 11_56_08-.png (39.56 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 am I had an issue with the correct location of the Povray template.
Yes, you have to update the path. Would be better to have a relative path here.
MisterMaker wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 am After I fixed that it worked for me, i got a blue cube.
I guess you use portable version, but I got the same error when this was broken.

I also had run the Povray installer but I forgot that I already had setup the portable povray version, soooo I am using that one. But maybe you can try to run the povray installer.
Are you talking about the portable version of PR or FC? I installed PR and it runs without problems with the "POV-Ray-Rendering" workbench. I run FC portable. The .pov file in generated in the /temp directory of FC with no problems. It is just that no image file was generated. I already checked that there are no blancs in any paths (this is a problem with the Appleseed integration). Still get the same error.

m.
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

OK, just found the issue. This workbench has major problems as soon as you have blanks in paths! PR installs to "C:\Program Files" ... thats enough to run into the problem. Appleseed has the same issue. I will try to warp my head around this.
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

@MisterMaker
Sure where should I make a wiki page in the freecad wiki that you can review when done?
Just create a markdown file in 'docs' folder in github repo (send me a PR), I'll add a link to it in the main page. Thanks!

@Markymark
Yes, you have to update the path. Would be better to have a relative path here.
I agree with you (relative path), the absolute path prevents portability, I'll try to think of a solution to this problem.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I have cycles working on windows!
2021-03-25 17_32_12-Cycles_ CyclesProjectpwgq38q0.xml.png
2021-03-25 17_32_12-Cycles_ CyclesProjectpwgq38q0.xml.png (815.08 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
It looks good, at least it looks the best of all the renders!
But it needs a lot of tweaking. But the basis is there.
First thing I really would like to change is the ground plane, it should be infinite or it should look like it is infinite!

I have uploaded the cycles stand alone build for windows here:
https://github.com/HaasNL2/Cycles-stand ... dows-build
After you download it you just have to edit the render workbench settings and point it there.
The resolution it renders is the resolution your window has.
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

Great job! You can rest on the chair, now :D !!!

First thing I really would like to change is the ground plane, it should be infinite or it should look like it is infinite!
Ground plane feature is aimed at being super-simple: one-click, no tweak - it is automatically sized on the scene bounding box.

Then, if you want a more elaborate plane - other size, orientation, material etc. -, just create a plane in FreeCAD: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Primitives