Opening an .scad file its parts are put to the wrong coordinates on screen

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Opening an .scad file its parts are put to the wrong coordinates on screen

Post by keithsloan52 »

infocean wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:16 pm Hi,

Do you guys have any estimated time when a "good enough" solution for the problem will be available?
Thanks ahead,
Infocean
Well my money says its a bug going from OpenSCAD MultiMatrix to FreeCAD Placement Base & Rotation. Anything in a scad script which involves a rotation the CSG process will introduce a MultiMatrix. I am guessing for some rotations it is doing the rotation but omitting the translation to Placement.Base. I don't know if Chris has had any luck tracking things down.
@chennes
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I have not had a chance to look at it any further, I'm trying to wrap up this Preference Pack/Themes PR.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Well, I fixed the easy bug anyway (the unhidden 2D geometry on linear extrude): https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4789
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
infocean

Post by infocean »

I am not a Github person. Is there, or will be there any file I can add to my installation to be able to test? Is it fix to FreeCad or to OpenSCAD? I guess it is to the OpenSCAd Workbench of FreeCAD, but better to know it from the mouth of the horse. ;)
Thanks Chris !!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

infocean wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 am I am not a Github person. Is there, or will be there any file I can add to my installation to be able to test? Is it fix to FreeCad or to OpenSCAD? I guess it is to the OpenSCAd Workbench of FreeCAD, but better to know it from the mouth of the horse. ;)
Thanks Chris !!
I have applied Chris fix to the OpenSCAD_Alternate_Importer see https://github.com/KeithSloan/OpenSCAD_Alt_Import
and for rotor_only I get
4D9456D9-CAE0-4737-B3CA-93E80D9F3A73.jpeg
4D9456D9-CAE0-4737-B3CA-93E80D9F3A73.jpeg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Install instructions for the Alternate_Importer are in the README and you can install via Tools | Addon Manager no need for Github
Just have to remember to load file by File | Load and then select which importer when prompted.