Ticket #4640 Interactive 3D-viewport manipulation?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nukeRomancer

Ticket #4640 Interactive 3D-viewport manipulation?

Post by nukeRomancer »

i searched the boards and couldn't find a similar request so. . .

some kind of interactive ( click and drag ) radius control for fillet / chamfer would be huge workflow boost. pretty standard in the other CAD apps so there's good precedent for it

Edits :

been prompted to expand this to the more general : interactive controls for ( most ) all things that have numeric input
Last edited by nukeRomancer on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pauvres_honteux

Re: feature request : interactive fillet radius

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

My interpretation of your request:
make it possible to manipulate radii directly in the 3D-viewport via click-n'dragging some nice looking manipulators.

Have I expressed the same thing as you had in mind?
nukeRomancer

Post by nukeRomancer »

hey. yeah you pretty much nailed the concept ( first vid from a quick search on youTube )

phpBB [video]
Pauvres_honteux

Then I encourage you to make a feature request for it.
More 3D-viewport interaction and manipulation to the people! ;)
Vive la revolution!! :D
nukeRomancer

Post by nukeRomancer »

oh ! i thought i was in the right place to make the feature request and have titled this thread as such ( following the pattern i'm seeing )

is there a more standard feature request process that i'm missing ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's the same process as for creating a bug report: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5236 .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

The Freecad maintenance team like to have the discussion here in the forum and the formal feature request in their ticket Tracker. Guess it makes life easier to, well, keep track of stuff.
Perhaps changing the headline to "interactive 3D-viewport manipulation"? Since this principle would be nice to have for almost anything in FreeCAD.

Don't forget to crosslink.
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

marja1 wrote: Ping
Marja1, perhaps you can help regarding your knowledge of using the widget system you are making/using for the Design456 Workbench?
mariwan

Post by mariwan »

Hi,
This is the goal of Design456. The widget system I do, is for giving the correct interface for OpenCascad to simulate these kind of functionalities and show it in a false copy, later do the real action in TopoShapes.
I stack to convert the Microelly2 's libraries. It is toooooo much work .. but I prioritized the project. let me see when I can finish that.
If you want, download the DESIGN456 and use the widget to draw (line, square at the moment) you will see that you can click it , select it .. hide it ..etc
Soon after I made the base, the rest will be easy.. it is just a drawing in Coin .. and the handle of events is made in the base classes.
There will be more interactive action added to the widget soon (I hope when I finish the Nurbs library)
So , yes that will be my goal with my WorkBench .. A flavor of 123D Design with much moor tools and much more possibilities. But I am along .. so it will take some time.
Pauvres_honteux

marja1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 pm ... I hope when I finish the Nurbs library...
Then, perhaps it is best to make a proper feature request so it doesn't fall between the chairs?