GSoC Proposal: Automate Reinforcement Process of Slab and Footing in FreeCAD

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
balrobs

Re: GSoC Proposal: Automate Reinforcement Process of Slab and Footing in FreeCAD

Post by balrobs »

Hi @Shiv,
since I'm the reporter of this issue I weight in on this discussion in order to see if I can contribute in some way.
I think your proposed way is doable. A pity that it works only for a subclass of reinforcement forms :( ,but considering the fact that a more generic solution would be hard to find IMHO we can go this way for now and see if we can improve it further in the future.
In case of other rebars (i.e. rebar2) where this method isn't applicable we could fall back to the old/wrong way of doing things and write a corrisponding note to the rebar-shape-cut-list and reinforcement-bar-bending-schedule.
Concerning your calculations:
  • cases 1 to 4: they should work fine (don't forget to take into account the stirrup hooks)
  • case 5: I must confess that at first glance I do not understand your approach. Wouldn't changing the left/right cover result in an unintended change of the overall horizontal extent? Could you please explain it to me in more detail?
BTW I wish you a good success for your GSoC project.
Cheers :)
Shiv_Charan

Re: GSoC Proposal: Automate Reinforcement Process of Slab and Footing in FreeCAD

Post by Shiv_Charan »

balrobs wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 am Hi @Shiv,
since I'm the reporter of this issue I weight in on this discussion in order to see if I can contribute in some way.
I think your proposed way is doable. A pity that it works only for a subclass of reinforcement forms :( ,but considering the fact that a more generic solution would be hard to find IMHO we can go this way for now and see if we can improve it further in the future.
In case of other rebars (i.e. rebar2) where this method isn't applicable we could fall back to the old/wrong way of doing things and write a corrisponding note to the rebar-shape-cut-list and reinforcement-bar-bending-schedule.
Concerning your calculations:
  • cases 1 to 4: they should work fine (don't forget to take into account the stirrup hooks)
  • case 5: I must confess that at first glance I do not understand your approach. Wouldn't changing the left/right cover result in an unintended change of the overall horizontal extent? Could you please explain it to me in more detail?
BTW I wish you a good success for your GSoC project.
Cheers :)
Hello @balrobs,

Thanks for your reply,

In case 5, when we decrease the top/bottom cover, the length of the middle portion will be reduced as shown in the following image.
Bent shape rebar length issue.jpeg
Bent shape rebar length issue.jpeg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
As we also need to increase the length of the middle portion of the rebar due to bent at it's both ends. Thus I was thinking to reduce the left/right cover to get the appropriate length of rebar.

However, @amrit3701 suggested me a more generic way of calculating the ideal length for rebars, which I will be going to describe in my next post. :)

Thanks and Regards
Shiv_Charan

Post by Shiv_Charan »

Hello everyone,

Today I and @amrit3701 had a video conference, we discussed my doubts/questions related to the codebase and the issue related to calculating appropriate rebar length.

@amrit3701 suggested, To use outside points of rebar to calculate the appropriate length of rebar.

For eg. In L-shaped rebar, we can calculate rebar length as the following image.
rebar length by using rebar's outside point.jpeg
rebar length by using rebar's outside point.jpeg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
First, we will get outside points of rebar then will calculate the distance between these points to get the ideal length of rebar.
This is a more generic way of calculating rebar length and it does not depend on the cover value of the rebar. :)
I am working on this method and will post the progress here.

Thanks and Regards
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Shiv_Charan wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:15 pm ...
In case 5, when we decrease the top/bottom cover, the length of the middle portion will be reduced as shown in the following image.

Bent shape rebar length issue.jpeg

As we also need to increase the length of the middle portion of the rebar due to bent at it's both ends. Thus I was thinking to reduce the left/right cover to get the appropriate length of rebar.

However, @amrit3701 suggested me a more generic way of calculating the ideal length for rebars, which I will be going to describe in my next post. :)
Thanks @Shiv_Caran for your detailed explanation!

I'm very happy about @amtit3701's suggestion because I'm convinced that it will prevent problems like those encountered for case 5 (the total horizontal length of the reinforcement would have changed).

I'm looking forward to the implementation of the generic solution :D
Shiv_Charan

Post by Shiv_Charan »

Hi @balrobs
balrobs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:10 pm
Thanks @Shiv_Caran for your detailed explanation!
It's my pleasure. :-)

I'm very happy about @amtit3701's suggestion because I'm convinced that it will prevent problems like those encountered for case 5 (the total horizontal length of the reinforcement would have changed).

I'm looking forward to the implementation of the generic solution :D
I have made an algorithm to calculate the ideal length of rebar based on the given suggestion and working on its implementation.
The algorithm can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Ye ... sp=sharing

@balrobs and all please provide your valuable suggestions and improvements. :-)

Thanks and Regards
Shiv_Charan

Post by Shiv_Charan »

Hello everyone,

I have created a FreeCAD wiki page to keep logs of my daily progress.
The link to the page is here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/User:Shiv_C ... SoC21/logs

I have also created my user profile: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/User:Shiv_Charan
And project detail page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/User:Shiv_C ... c_proposal

Regards
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Shiv_Charan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:32 pm ...
Wow, I took a look at your algorithm ... it should surely work well!
Keep up the good work :D
Shiv_Charan

Post by Shiv_Charan »

balrobs wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:54 pm
Shiv_Charan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:32 pm ...
Wow, I took a look at your algorithm ... it should surely work well!
Keep up the good work :D
Thanks, @balrobs
I'm glad to know about it. :-)

Regards
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

BTW we should not forget that for a correct dimensioning of rebar-shape-cut-list and reinforcements-bar-bending-schedule we don''t need only the ideal length of every rebar-edge but also the angle to its predecessor.

Regards
Shiv_Charan

Post by Shiv_Charan »

Hi @amrit3701,

I have created a pull request: https://github.com/amrit3701/FreeCAD-Re ... t/pull/154
To fix the issue related to TypeError while including units in dimension label in rebar shape cut list and in Bar Bending Schedule.

Please review it and let me know if any changes are required in it. :-)

Thanks and Regards