Can I Help with The Useability Key?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Can I Help with The Useability Key?

Post by chrisb »

ChrisWesley wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:40 am So this is NOT the way to do it? So why did you suggest this way in the forum post I linked to?
It's not clear to me to which post your are referring. I will try to explain - and there is, of course, always the possibility that I was wrong.

an I'm glad to see that you now agree.
Today, finally, you agreed on the extremely simple idea of putting helpful guidance in the UI.
I will explain it a second time (but not a third), keeping it as short as possible: Your concrete example should be separated from your intentions! The example was a bad one. I never disagreed, that the GUI should guide and be as helpful as possible, especially for newbies. But leading them on the wrong track is no good advice.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ChrisWesley

Post by ChrisWesley »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 pm May I summarize here?
The point is that what we're seeing in this cacophony of responses is the process itself of introducing an idea to the community. In the FreeCAD world (and other opensource projects) we don't put a lot of emphasis on the experience people have in the industry or their background. We want to see "skin in the game". We are building the bridge as we cross it. We dont have UML maps or very clear 'Critical paths' to get where we're going. I'm sure that has a lot of industry/corporate folk (or even some with OCD) on edge because it is a more organic albeit messy process.

So coming to the FreeCAD community with a "top-down big picture" approach without building a reputation in the community...well it's going to be met with skepticism. As it's been said earlier, we get these posts on a weekly basis and the attrition rate is very high of said posters because either they want their background experience to automatically transfer and gain acceptance immediately in the community or they realize that the approach we have is too chaotic and the job is too overwhelming and broken. But it's not broken, it's being built from the periphery in to the center.

So if I may suggest that you tell us what you'd like to work on - documentation that would help developers understand how to contribute to the project AND/OR improving our API documentation OR even fixing some bugs - that's the skin in the game and that's IMHO is everything in this community.
Kunda I appreciate your broader perspective here, and I think you're correct. I explained my background not becuase I expected to to fall before me in obedience, but because I wanted to show you what I have to offer the project. Like in a job interview. And I wonder what I've shown you so far which led you to that bizarre conclusion about my motives.

And I've explained mny concrette things I could and would do, in this thread and the other one. Maybe you wrote this before i wrote those.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Some posts have been moved to a separate topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Tutorials and videos forum.
I thought about moving it to UX/UI Design, but as it turned out to be rather general, I think the better place is here in Open discussion.
ChrisWesley

Post by ChrisWesley »

chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm Some posts have been moved to a separate topic.
Yes, you moved the part where you told me that you would repeat something I missed a second "(but not a third) time" (how gracious) and then failed to acknowledge - let alone apologise for - missing the link I pointed out patiently to you several times.

It's also a shame that it is now gone from here because the follow-up would have been relevant here also.

You point out that when you told me to do it this way last time, it was a long time ago. OK.
And you go on to explain several ways to do it now. OK.
As *I* have explained several times, I don't actually need to know how to do it now.
I've already done it. The "wrong way". My project is finished and printed. I installed it yesterday.
My point was about the UI design.

But NONE of the ways you explain are in any way indicated by UI in today's program, and THAT was my main point.
The UI is silent on how to do this, beyond presenting a list of the places to place a sketch on.

And that is probably toe FIFTH time I've saiud that.

Now, let me guess - *I* am now banned for being rude?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

ChrisWesley wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:04 pm Now, let me guess - *I* am now banned for being rude?
Sorry being rude, but - are you high or something?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Locking this topic for 24 hours because people are refusing to de-escalate the rhetoric in this conversation.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs