Request for a separate Assy file format

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann

Re: Request for a separate Assy file format

Postby thomas-neemann » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 pm

user1234 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:31 pm
No one i am allowed to show because of contracts. Maybe later i can search an old project that i made in private. But it should be clear that a assembly have different properties like a part.
yes that is clear, but i can create a unique designation of an assembly and a part and e.g. in an excel table any amount of information can be "announced"
user1234

Postby user1234 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:44 pm

thomas-neemann wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 pm
excel table
Yuck! Also for me as an one man show. Reminds me on a time of the brain drained SAP. But that is too much off topic.
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:47 pm

user1234 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:44 pm
thomas-neemann wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 pm
excel table
Yuck! Also for me as an one man show. Reminds me on a time of the brain drained SAP. But that is too much off topic.
I'm out
freedman

Postby freedman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:03 am

thomas-neemann wrote
in my opinion, everything is already there that is necessary without assembly wbs
In my macro stuff I'm moving Parts and placing Parts in Parts. I have found that if there were locks on the properties of a Part it can be used as an assembly. Part would need to have a placement offset X,Y,Z added to it for positioning so it's rotation could be around it's own axis. Assembly doesn't seem all that difficult if you just think about the act of locking some axis or restricting movements inside a Part.

Assembly storage data and all the extra bits I know little about, I would give way to Zolko experience in this area for sure. I think we would all like to have some kind of Assembly without adding too much.