Feedback/ideas needed: "Themes" (now "Preference Packs") User Interface

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Feedback/ideas needed: "Themes" (now "Preference Packs") User Interface

Post by chennes »

bleber wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 am One tnig that is hard to me is the PreferencePackTemplates files. For me the easyest way is if I can select these parameters sirectly in the "create new preference pack" window if Y can see the freecad parameter streucture with a checkbox in front of every parameter. and using the templates for preset checkboxes.
Thank you for testing this. The problem is that there is no "master list" of parameters, so we have to have the template files. I think it would be a reasonable future addition to add a hierarchical display of the parameters in those files, however, so that you could individually select the items they contain.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

So just tried running this myself. Was able to compile and run, but I don't see much functionality yet, at least just on the UI side of everything. Some observations that strike out:
1) On "running" any of the preferences, my recents and examples disappear.
2) I changed the editor fonts to a monospace font (IBM Plex Mono if it matters), and saved a new profile. The font is not loaded back if I run the "classic" pack and then my new "ibm" pack.
3) Perhaps keep some buttons to edit/delete preference packs? Understandably this might be left for later, but it would be helpful to the testers if it's added first.

I apologize in advance if these issues are addressed elsewhere. I'll just go through this thread and maybe have to edit this post :oops:
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

jnxd wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:10 pm So just tried running this myself. Was able to compile and run, but I don't see much functionality yet, at least just on the UI side of everything. Some observations that strike out:
Thanks for testing!

Interesting! I can reproduce this bug, I'll have a look at what's causing it and get a patch submitted. ETA: I think I figured out the problem here, and have patched the PR. If you have a moment to re-test I'd appreciate it!

2) I changed the editor fonts to a monospace font (IBM Plex Mono if it matters), and saved a new profile. The font is not loaded back if I run the "classic" pack and then my new "ibm" pack.
Right now the preference pack templates basically only pull the color information. I'll add the fonts to a separate template file so they can be included when saving. ETA: This is done now as well.

3) Perhaps keep some buttons to edit/delete preference packs? Understandably this might be left for later, but it would be helpful to the testers if it's added first.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

chennes wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:52 pm Thanks for testing!
The pleasure is all mine!
Interesting! I can reproduce this bug, I'll have a look at what's causing it and get a patch submitted. ETA: I think I figured out the problem here, and have patched the PR. If you have a moment to re-test I'd appreciate it!
I think this bug is fixed, at least for now. Opened a document and it stays in my recents.
Right now the preference pack templates basically only pull the color information. I'll add the fonts to a separate template file so they can be included when saving. ETA: This is done now as well.
So I tried doing this, but the new font I set seems to be getting set for ALL the pref packs, including "classic". I didn't look into the xml's themselves though, so this might just be doing nothing for now rather than resetting fonts.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.
Thanks for this. Take your time.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

jnxd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 pm
So I tried doing this, but the new font I set seems to be getting set for ALL the pref packs, including "classic".
Any preference pack created prior to this change (including the "Classic Colors") will not include the font information in it, so should not affect fonts -- have you made a new pack that included the font information?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

chennes wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:02 pm
jnxd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:20 pm
So I tried doing this, but the new font I set seems to be getting set for ALL the pref packs, including "classic".
Any preference pack created prior to this change (including the "Classic Colors") will not include the font information in it, so should not affect fonts -- have you made a new pack that included the font information?
I'm pretty sure I did. I might have to roll back a few commits to test again but I'm pretty sure the "classic" one at least used to change fonts somehow (which you said does not have font info).

EDIT: Just confirming that with your latest commit, even new packs made after setting different font sizes/faces don't make those changes. Only "Editor colors" seem to change. Maybe that's because you haven't put them as a choice in the "make new" dialog?
Screenshot at 2021-08-05 14-23-12.png
Screenshot at 2021-08-05 14-23-12.png (48.01 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Oops. Forgot to edit the cMake file to copy the new template! :oops: Incoming edit soon…

ETA: OK, new commit actually copies the file.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

chennes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:18 am Oops. Forgot to edit the cMake file to copy the new template! :oops: Incoming edit soon…

ETA: OK, new commit actually copies the file.
Finally works! So there's a template for every property?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

jnxd wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:40 am So there's a template for every property?
I only made templates for the properties that I thought it most likely that theme authors would want included. As we see how others want to use the Preference Pack system, it's easy to extend that to include other properties in the template files, but I don't think we'll ever get to a point where those templates are exhaustive (after all, some things really don't belong there, like the recent files and recent macros properties).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
bleber

Post by bleber »

In these cases t'he ideal are a import function to scan all user preferències and output a universal template that t'he user can change and Mark the Desired propietes to export.
Mi question is, there are any freecad files that store the propietes to export or read for easy Make a theme pack?