Freecad coming from Fusion360

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sergio_belgium

Freecad coming from Fusion360

Post by sergio_belgium »

Hi all,

I'm a new freecad user switching from Fusion360 after the userpolicy changed.
And with all the work that has gone in creating this i outmost respect the creators.
But damn this is so overcomplicated.

For example the constraints that always needs to be set on points, and not easely on a line. If you wanna set a horizontal line fixed from center. Then instead of clicking where you want to have the rule, you have to pick a point at the end of that line then go to center pick that point. That is really time consuming. You don't wanna move your drawing all the time to set a constraint right?
I'm i the only one finding this overcomplicated? Why make it hard if it can be simple? You have a full line to click on and it has to be a small dot of only a few px.

I really don't understand. I really hope it just ain't me alone.

And then there are some functions like TRim (T, R) well sorry it doesn't work for me Ik keep toggling between first T and then R, and reverse. But i never see trim nomatter what i do. how difficult can it be to make a shift-T or control-T???
Also I cannot find how to "lock" a line without constraints.

I love that it's freeware I really do, but it could be so much better. And honestly if Fusion would be cheaper i would swith immidiately back.
Unless someone can convince me :D

Edit: New user as in using for 6 months to test, but not yet use for work.
Last edited by sergio_belgium on Thu May 06, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Freecad coming from Fusion360

Post by chrisb »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm I really don't understand.
It is very easy to understand, and thousands of other users have been able to: it is the point that should be coincident, and not the line. That having said, doesn't mean that it could be made more user friendly.
how difficult can it be to make a shift-T or control-T???
Good to hear that this is easy for you. Please create a pull request, and while you are at it, you can improve the line handling too.
Locking it means to add a block constraint, so it is not possible to lock without a constraint.
I love that it's freeware I really do, but it could be so much better. And honestly if Fusion would be cheaper i would swith immidiately back.
You don't seem to love that it is freeware, you love your money. But improving FreeCAD as said above would be an excellent reward, for a great piece of software.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sergio_belgium

Post by sergio_belgium »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm
sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm I really don't understand.
It is very easy to understand, and thousands of other users have been able to: it is the point that should be coincident, and not the line. That having said, doesn't mean that it could be made more user friendly.
how difficult can it be to make a shift-T or control-T???
Good to hear that this is easy for you. Please create a pull request, and while you are at it, you can improve the line handling too.
Locking it means to add a block constraint, so it is not possible to lock without a constraint.
You don't seem to love that it is freeware, you love your money. But improving FreeCAD as said above would be an excellent reward, for a great piece of software.
Thats tipical the experienced user who prefer to attack instead of listen. Yes there are thousand of users. Does that mean you are right? No it doens't. You say that putting a constraint on a point is the correct way?! why, because you created it? Or because you are used to it?
Strange that you say that a constraint on a point is the correct way and that in fusion360 from autodesk you can put it on a line. SO you are saying that autodesk with + 20years of experience in CAD is wrong.
Really funny :D

Also locking a free line IS a constraint. You say you want it there for a reason.

But yes attack instead of listen and the program will surely improve :mrgreen:
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm I'm a new freecad user switching from Fusion360 after the userpolicy changed.
I really don't understand. I really hope it just ain't me alone.
nah, don't worry, we have such lot every week on average, we have learnt to ignore them. If you're still around in a couple of months, you'll understand by yourself.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pmThats tipical the experienced user who prefer to attack instead of listen.
That is the typical unexperienced user who change the software and expect that all works the same way and did not really try the software.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm Thats tipical the experienced user who prefer to attack instead of listen. Yes there are thousand of users. Does that mean you are right?
Now it is you who didn't read properly: I didn't say these thousands were right, I only said they understand! And you ignored completely, that I agreed with you on the user experience. And honestly, what happens, if you make a line and point coincident? Will the point lie somewhere arbitrarily in the middle of the line? Oh, it is on the end point! And yet you tell me, that it is not coincident with that point :? ?
Also locking a free line IS a constraint.
My words! We agree! Now you only have to follow your own advice and read my post properly to learn which one it is.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sergio_belgium

Post by sergio_belgium »

Lol and one attack after the other.

You guys are really funny. Saying that autodesk (or as example: any architect) is wrong.
Funny that you say that improving the application should be a reward. Yes it is.
But if you are fighting against a club of stuborn programmers who think they are re-inventing the wheel then its pointless.
I know how to draw in fusion360. I know all constraints so i'm not a newbie. But a same drawing i did in fusion 360 and freecad took me an hour more in freecad. And not because i don't know how to draw, just because it's overcomplicated and you have to set more measurements and you have to move drawing a lot more.

Yes you can keep attacking me. If that is you way of wasting your time instead of reading and impoving the program then it's your time your waisting.
I'm might be also wasting my time, but at least i try to point out things that are better (userfriendly and less time consuming) in a different way.
But yes you are right and all the long time programmers from autodesk are wrong. Just they idea alone makes my evening :D
sergio_belgium

Post by sergio_belgium »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm
sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm Thats tipical the experienced user who prefer to attack instead of listen. Yes there are thousand of users. Does that mean you are right?
Now it is you who didn't read properly: I didn't say these thousands were right, I only said they understand! And you ignored completely, that I agreed with you on the user experience. And honestly, what happens, if you make a line and point coincident? Will the point lie somewhere arbitrarily in the middle of the line? Oh, it is on the end point! And yet you tell me, that it is not coincident with that point :? ?
Also locking a free line IS a constraint.
My words! We agree! Now you only have to follow your own advice and read my post properly to learn which one it is.
Maybe i can explain myself more. If i draw a horizontal line parallel to the horizontal center line then i have to set my distance constraint on the end point. No it should be anywhere on the line. There is no point on the line, it's the line that is measured.
Or are you gonna claim that any architect, any woodworker any metal worker is wrong. It's plain technical drawing logics.
If they measure a part or a room, whatever, they don't measure from corner to corner or point to point. No they measure from side to side or from wall to wall.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So you mean the vertical distance of a horizontal line from a point. That is very well possible. You can select the line, a point, and add a length constraint.

Perhaps it is time to invest another hour in learning how to constrain sketches.
zisoft

Post by zisoft »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm So you mean the vertical distance of a horizontal line from a point. That is very well possible. You can select the line, a point, and add a length constraint.
That does not work for me. I select a line, select the coordinate zero and when I press the horizontal or vertical length constraint button, I get an error message.