Moving IRC channel to Libera.chat?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Moving IRC channel to Libera.chat?

Post by kkremitzki »

For those who haven't heard the news, there has been a lot of upheaval around the Freenode IRC network lately. I haven't found a single link that summarizes things well, but in short, there has been a sort of hostile takeover with all or nearly all volunteers running things resigning, and a nearly wholesale migration off the platform. There has already been a #FreeCAD room created on the successor network, libera.chat, but we may wish to 1) officially get rid of the Freenode room 2) make an official announcement. I'm hoping that by creating this thread we can get the ball rolling on this process as things have been moving quite quickly.
yorik wrote: ping
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Moving IRC channel to Libera.chat?

Post by drmacro »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:25 pm For those who haven't heard the news, there has been a lot of upheaval around the Freenode IRC network lately. I haven't found a single link that summarizes things well, but in short, there has been a sort of hostile takeover with all or nearly all volunteers running things resigning, and a nearly wholesale migration off the platform. There has already been a #FreeCAD room created on the successor network, libera.chat, but we may wish to 1) officially get rid of the Freenode room 2) make an official announcement. I'm hoping that by creating this thread we can get the ball rolling on this process as things have been moving quite quickly.
yorik wrote: ping
The article on Hackaday is relatively un-biased:
https://hackaday.com/2021/05/20/freenod ... w-network/
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Quite an interesting series of events. I'm slightly inclined to agree with those who've moved on to create libera.chat.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
y1n

Post by y1n »

A little evaluation (just now) showed me 56 users on libera and 104 users on freenode while 14 users are logged in both servers, so that I effectively can reach another 90 users on freenode.
So we have the effect of a channel-split and I vote strongly to 'official' close one of the channels (preferable the freenode-channel, because after the hostile takeover of more then 700 channels on freenode, freenode seems no longer reliable and a field of power-games, as result many big projects have already decided to switch to libera) as well as the redirect of FreeCADBot to libera. Matrix has already announced the redirect of their irc-bridge to libera in the near future (cant find the source atm).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkG-b7WRf2aGSpfvp_GYwg
https://github.com/y1n-dev
LHC

Post by LHC »

[/quote]
The article on Hackaday is relatively un-biased:
https://hackaday.com/2021/05/20/freenod ... w-network/
[/quote]

While I am aware of IRC, I never actually used it. However, I did just go to the article quoted above and had a read to edcutate myself. The following quotation pretty much describes what we've all seen play out in many other places over the years....

"Freenode has been taken from the community and put into the hands of an enigmatic and wealthy entrepreneur "

That's all I need to know. I'll keep an eye on this channel for announcements about Libera.chat :lol:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Im +1 about moving to librachat
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

More bad news about Freenode which is basically forcing our hand to migrate IRC presence to Libera.chat:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27510824
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

The great thing is: I'm now aware.of an FreeCAD IRC channel and I think only one FreeCAD room at libera.chat is the way to go.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

M4x wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 am one FreeCAD room at libera.chat is the way to go.
The problem is that the pseudos are different in the IRC and here on the forum, so no way to know whom you're chatting with
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here