Changes to Sketcher keyboard shortcuts [Discussion thread]

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: Changes to Sketcher keyboard shortcuts [Discussion thread]

Post by heda »

reading through this I'm +1 on all that chrisb has written

for myself I'm one of those which tend to use the icons,
unless I'm doing something repetitive in which case I sometimes use sc's,
which I would look up there and then, but sadly probably forgotten after some days.

what I tend to know by heart is the name of the command, so anything using the first letter means that one only need to know that this principle is generally applied to be able to "just see if the sc is there"

one interesting aspect is of course that the first letter is likely to be the first letter in only one language (which I'm perfectly fine with for the record).

I suppose some sc are naturally global (super SCs?), and others are naturally local, and I think it should be treated that way,
local wins over global except when it is a super SC.

btw, nice of you to give it a shoot to pull this one through bance!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I will add my $.02. ;) Musings of a mad man maybe.

I think having the 2 letter SC available and not working is worse than having none.

It would be nice if the SC keys were consistent throughout and not specific (and possibly different) in various workbenches. But, this may not be practical or even possible.

Having them noted in the the tooltip and in menus would be very good. But, will there be a registry of sorts to maintain consistency, police new additions, etc.?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm It actually makes sense as of today, all commands from workbenches that had been opened (visited) are loaded and shortcuts can conflict. But sure not an optimal solution. ;)
I see, maybe it should be made standard to call a (optional) function named something like setShortcuts when changing workbenches so we can have local SCs. IMO FreeCAD is to big to make it practical to make every SC global.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:41 am IMO FreeCAD is to big to make it practical to make every SC global.
+1

FreeCAD is used with very different workflows - think of the recurring Part vs. PartDesign discussions - and people most probably don't want to care about workbenches they never use.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:41 am I see, maybe it should be made standard to call a (optional) function named something like setShortcuts when changing workbenches so we can have local SCs. IMO FreeCAD is to big to make it practical to make every SC global.
chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:30 am +1

FreeCAD is used with very different workflows - think of the recurring Part vs. PartDesign discussions - and people most probably don't want to care about workbenches they never use.
I started a discussion in the thread that was formerly linked in this discussion.
We all agree that workbench specific shortcuts should not conflict between them. That's the easy part.
The difficult part is to decide what we want instead ? Should the shortcuts of the exited workbenches be deactivated ? Or still be available with a specific key ? Other ???
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am Should the shortcuts of the exited workbenches be deactivated ?
I think they should be deactivated to prevent unattended changes to the model. If a user decides to add by himself a command from another workbench it is a different game.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

OK, in the absence of any real objections, I shall try to come up with a schema along the lines of the discussion here. I shall post something for approval in the next few days. :D
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Well it took a bit longer than I expected, but you know how things sometimes get in the way. :D

The new schema works on the general principal of groups:-

Geometric constraints Single letter (first letter of constraint.)

Constrain radius/diameter should follow the behaviour of the GUI, IE last chosen should become session default.

Distance constraints 'D' followed by (first letter of constraint.)

Geometry create 'G' followed by (first letter of constraint.)

There are two Geometry create shortcuts that possibly should open a dialogue for further refinement of choice, create polygon and create conic. They possibly then follow the behaviour of the GUI, IE last chosen should become session default. Thoughts?

There remains a group (rows 82-90 in the SS) that selects constraints/axes for further action that currently have CTRL+SHIFT+(xyz) I think these are worthy of short-cuts too. Any ideas for these would be welcome.

Shortcuts are listed in uppercase for clarity, but would be lowercase in use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
AKielhorn

Post by AKielhorn »

I had a look at your suggestions and have some comments:
Bance wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:54 am There are two Geometry create shortcuts that possibly should open a dialogue for further refinement of choice, create polygon and create conic. They possibly then follow the behaviour of the GUI, IE last chosen should become session default. Thoughts?
I prefer to have one shortcut for one command.
Otherwise I have to look at the icon to see which option is currently active and most of the times it's the wrong one.

It's nice to have separate shortcuts for diameter and radius. (This may no longer be true with the new radiam constraint.)

There is currently a conflict:
The "V" shortcut conflicts with the "View" menu.
I often hit VF to Fit and accidentally start fillet mode.

It would be great if this could be changed for the new SC definition.
Maybe GH and GV for Horizontal and Vertical?

The keys are close and it should be easy to type.

You are suggesting a dialogue for GE and GP.
This introduces 3 letter shortcuts GE + key for the dialogue.
Why not use 3 letter shortcuts like GEC for center, GP3 for triangle?
This can be extended to circle GCC, GC3 or rectangle GRR for a regular rectangle, GRO for a rounded rectangle and GRC for a centered rectangle.

The TR shortcut is used in the Draft WB as well, I would like to keep shortcuts consistent in different workbenches.
This means tangential has to move to GT, which is the opposite of your suggestion.

Draft has LI (Line), RE (Rectangle), PL (Polyline) and more. Would it be a good idea to re-use these shortcuts?
Yes, this contradicts my GCC/GC3 proposal.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

AKielhorn wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:43 am There is currently a conflict:
The "V" shortcut conflicts with the "View" menu.
I often hit VF to Fit and accidentally start fillet mode.
That's indeed a conflict. Currently this constraint is already hiding view fit, and I think this is still the way to go, because it is a very clear concept. It may be my personal workflow, but I use the vertical constraint much more often than view fit.

Edit: Oh I forgot: besides that, I like the proposal!