Discussion on placement

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Discussion on placement

Post by drmacro »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:33 pm ...
Let us imagine I envision a broader scope so to say.
Expressing myself differently, this Move-tool I was whishing for would then be functional for anything, not only solids.
It est, it shall remember the original position for anything the user whish to move.
This macro addresses a particular need for imported geometry which, turns out, has some particular peculiarities.

As to more global things...and, no snark intended.

How many moves should your tool remember? 1, 2, 10?

I have always seen the movement of things to be a bit convoluted in FreeCAD.

A simple addition to the Transform dialog to allow the user to specify absolute or relative values would be a major step toward parity with other systems. (I suppose it could be argued that this is provided by Edit>Placement...)

Remembering moves would probably seen as a boon to some, but, superfluous to others. I'm not convinced either way.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Now I have Undo working, it does remember was it was before the Macro was applied.

It will currently move a variety of Shapes to the origin - not just Solid but Shell, Compound and CompSolid (whatever they are!)
If there are other suitable objects, let me know. I have little experience importing stuff other than STLs.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm How many moves should your tool remember? 1, 2, 10?
One is all it takes. If one needs moore remembered steps one can always fire up the macro again.
edwilliams16 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 pm It will currently move a variety of Shapes to the origin - not just Solid but Shell, Compound and CompSolid (whatever they are!)
If there are other suitable objects, let me know. I have little experience importing stuff other than STLs.
There you go, it was possible! Brilliant work!
Perhaps points, lines, curves as well?
Don't know what category planes and surfaces belongs to? Shell?
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:24 pm Perhaps points, lines, curves as well?
Don't know what category planes and surfaces belongs to? Shell?
If you want to provide some (simple) example files with objects you'd like to move, and which point on them you'd like to move to the origin, I can see if they are compatible with my approach. Anything I invent would be artificial.
Pauvres_honteux

edwilliams16 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:07 pm ... provide some (simple) example files with objects you'd like to move, and which point on them you'd like to move to the origin ...
Okey, let's start with the humble point:
Moving_a_cone_with_the_help_of_a_point.png
Moving_a_cone_with_the_help_of_a_point.png (69.21 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
The aim here is to move an imported cone, arbitrary placed in space, with respect to another point (here: Coordinate_system_Zero). And fortunately the creator sent a point (here: Cone_center_point) centered at one end of it. If it had not been there from the beginning we would have to create one.

I imagine the user will make some kind of compound of the cone and the circle-centered point so they can somehow move together. Or if it is possible to incorporate that compound-making into your macro? Don't know if it must be persistent or if it can be just temporarily created and used?

Anyway, I further imagine one start your macro, then mark the compound (or if you incorporate it, the cone and point) then click on the target point and then click Apply.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 pm I imagine the user will make some kind of compound of the cone and the circle-centered point so they can somehow move together.
if you put it in a Part container, you can use my Aligner of Manipulator WB to rearrange the placement
Pauvres_honteux

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:32 pm ... you can use my Aligner of Manipulator WB to rearrange the placement.
Perhaps you and edwilliams16 should coorporate to make the ultimate one-stop-shop and be-all-rule-them-all Move-tool then?
Us users would build temples with alters and start sacrificing to your honor if you coorporate with each other.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:32 pm
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 pm I imagine the user will make some kind of compound of the cone and the circle-centered point so they can somehow move together.
if you put it in a Part container, you can use my Aligner of Manipulator WB to rearrange the placement
This whole discussion was predicated on the fact that an stl (and other import formats) go back to their original location if moved before being put in a Body.

Unless I am misinformed, you can't put a Std_Part into a Body.

So, the Manipulator workbench is great for Part workbench objects.

(And I guess my discussion of this in the Manipulator WB thread has been dismissed... :( )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 pm The aim here is to move an imported cone, arbitrary placed in space, with respect to another point (here: Coordinate_system_Zero). And fortunately the creator sent a point (here: Cone_center_point) centered at one end of it. If it had not been there from the beginning we would have to create one.

I imagine the user will make some kind of compound of the cone and the circle-centered point so they can somehow move together. Or if it is possible to incorporate that compound-making into your macro? Don't know if it must be persistent or if it can be just temporarily created and used?

Anyway, I further imagine one start your macro, then mark the compound (or if you incorporate it, the cone and point) then click on the target point and then click Apply.
I'm curious to know what is the Placement Dialog missing to do this? maybe I didn't understand your intention
Pauvres_honteux

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:46 pm I'm curious to know what is the Placement Dialog missing to do this?
I forgot the most important detail: when the Move is performed, the helping geometry shall be released from the object of intrest (in this example, the cone) in such a way one can then remove/delete the helping geometry (in this case, a point) without affecting the subject of interests new placement.

To elaborate a bit more on this topic "Placement of imported geometry" I'd say my experience tells me ALL geometry from other CAD-system are hovering far out in deep space when imported. Further the imported geometry always lacks any kind of reference points and/or axis. Therfor I have always been forced to add some helping geometry to the imported geometry to be able to snap it to an axis system I have absolute control over.

I would go even further, and suggest you guys cooperate and allow all the Feature #4268 - Multi-Geometry Modal Selection and Deselection, in such a way that the user first attaches his/hers points/axis/planes in/on some smart places relative to the imported geometry, then start your Move tool and "box-select" the whole lot whereas everything gets automagicly treated as a single "thingie". Thereafter the user just picks start and end geometry in such a way the transformation doesn't become ambigous.

I currently haven't got any ideas on how to select start then end placement arguments. But as few clicks as possible wouldn't be wrong.