freecad.gears (aka FCGear) epic-megagrant

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: freecad.gears (aka FCGear) epic-megagrant

Post by user1234 »

jackfreecad wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 am Just wanted to trow an idea about a gearbox work bench
Too specific. If you want it for simple gearboxes, FreeCAD already have all functions (except geometry what looo want to implement). If you want to make real gearboxes (bearing type and clearances factors, trustforces, shearforces, bendingforces, coolingsystem, lubesystem, sealingsystem, .....), then you can not make it with a simple workbench. Which leads to the normal FreeCAD.

Greetings
user1234
LHC

Post by LHC »

Hi - I've just downloaded the latest FreeCad development version from the weekly builds page (Conda / Windows) and would like to try out the new features in this gear workbench. A couple of questions have popped into my mind and I figured I should ask.

1) Do I simply download the files/zip from the git repository mentioned earlier in this thread and drop them into the appropriate mod folder over top of the existing "main line" gears workbench files and I'm all set?

2) I have an older (6 months) model that I have been working on that uses gears. Is there any chance of me corrupting or breaking this model with this new version of the gears workbench that includes head/root fillets? That the features I'd like to add to my model.

Thanks ! I really like this workbench and have enjoyed using it. Hats off to the developer for a great addition to FreeCad !

Cheers,
Lewis
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Use the AddonManager to update Gears.

If the new version uses a different OCC version, there is a certain chance that fillets break.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
LHC

Post by LHC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:11 pm Use the AddonManager to update Gears.

If the new version uses a different OCC version, there is a certain chance that fillets break.
ok - I think I see what's happening now. I had updated the gear workbench as per your suggestion, but when I opened my old file it did not show the options for root fillet in the model tab when selecting one of the gears. Starting a new file and a new gear results in a somewhat different model tab with the head and root fillets (among some other things). Perhaps it's not possible to "update" old gears and one must re-create them with the new version of the workbench that has the new features? In any case, it appears I can create some gears and tinker with the fillets now.

Thanks,
Lewis
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload a file showing your issues? What do you mean by "root fillet"?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
LHC

Post by LHC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 pm Can you upload a file showing your issues? What do you mean by "root fillet"?
It's the fillet at the bottom of the gap between teeth. Looo has a new branch that allows you to set this as a multiplier of the module. Maybe I am not using the right term here....might be referred to as the foot fillet too now that I think about it. Sorry about that. The original file is something I am doing for a friend that might not want me passing it around but when I get back to the computer later I will edit it and then post a test file to show you what I am rambling about.

EDIT - Yes, I just looked back and Looo has referred to it as the foot fillet. Other gear documentation that I have studied in the past used root fillet - that's why I was using that term out of habit. Same thing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

LHC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:31 pm I will edit it and then post a test file to show you what I am rambling about.
That's even better, because you can just show the issue and nothing else.

If it needs Looo's own branch, I will probably be of no big help, but you can ask looo about compatibility.
jackfreecad

Post by jackfreecad »

Just downloaded the new workbench, works great!
However some errors will happen when editing existing gears, that is true
If you really need to work on previous design, delete the new work bench, re-install with the add-on manager
Maybe there is a way to have both workbench installed at same time, not sure how complicated that could be
LHC

Post by LHC »

Yes I suspect that some backwards compatibility is probably being worked on "behind the curtain"...,.at least I hope so. I found that on an old design I ended up generating a Python error as it was looking for one of the newer parameters (head fillet I think). Once I deleted the new workbench and reinstalled from the addon manager all was good again.

The new workbench features are awesome though !

Lewis
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

LHC wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 pm Yes I suspect that some backwards compatibility is probably being worked on "behind the curtain"...,.at least I hope so. I found that on an old design I ended up generating a Python error as it was looking for one of the newer parameters (head fillet I think). Once I deleted the new workbench and reinstalled from the addon manager all was good again.

The new workbench features are awesome though !

Lewis
I will work on a tool to update existing gears to the updated workbench but do not care too much about backward compatibility in first place.

Regarding installation: best to use git and checkout the megagrants branch