[Request] SKetcher External Geometry linked to Edge

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jtm2020hyo

[Request] SKetcher External Geometry linked to Edge

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Continuing the post:

Code: Select all

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55801&start=10
I think this request/feature deserves to be mentioned to be added in future versions.

Inverse Edge Linked to External Geometry:

if we can call any external edge to our Sketcher, an Inverse Edge Linked should give enough control to the user to edit any the Edge or Vertex in any Object, with feature should be solved at least the 90% of request related to parametric editing, including Downgraded Edges, Vertex, Faces, Etc.

Also, this shouldn't break anything and can be complementary to literally any other feature including to any External WB.

maybe this should be the biggest change could receive FreeCAD in their history.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqxK5ms4w0c
edit: changed named from "[Request] Inverse Edge Linked to External Geometry" to "[Request] SKetcher External Geometry linked to Edge"
Last edited by jtm2020hyo on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Request] Inverse Edge Linked to External Geometry

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Developers corner. You post there rather to discuss your own developments.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The suggestion is highly problematic. External geometry is projected onto the plane of the sketch. When projected back to its source it could be positioned at any distance from the sketch.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I think the "200" constraint could be marked as non-contruction-mode (blue) but the diagonal a vertical constraints not should have any conflict, I mean a entire Sketcher could be an Constraint more.

With this feature FreeCAD should be the equivalent to Blender with their edge/face/vertex edition. Also any imported model like .STEP format could have parametric features.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:28 am biggest change could receive FreeCAD in their history.
I'm not even sure what is being described, the linked video never mentions such a thing. (I even watched the video, recommended in the video, that is supposed to explain how the first video was done... :? )
The video is using parametric modelling workflow as is currently available in FreeCAD.

I think the OP is referring to being able to select a face and drag it to Pad.

IMO, this would simply open up the ability to makes extremely confusing and hard to understand and maintain models.

In Blender, this sort of behaviour is normal, it is only dragging faces that do not depend on a defining sketch.

As usual, my disclaimer, this is my opinion, is it definitely does not fit my workflow, and I it seems counter to the FreeCAD paradigm/workflow. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:08 pm
The video is just a reference. In the video the creator is editing their solid edges creating a Sketch+ Extrude then Boolean Section and apply Part Design features, a lot of work just to edit a single line.

With the Inverse Edge linked should be possible edit the vertex and edge in the image above instead use the menu edition

I mean, edit everything with Sketcher WB, doing this any object completely parametric model

Also, with Topological naming problem solved soon this should give us the 1.0 version and FreecAD could be advertised as a 100% parametric model including imported models non-freecad-based like blender or sketchup or IFC formats.

Edit: I forget mention that the Sketcher not necessarily need be mapped to the face, can be used any custom orientation like the normal workflow, the Constraints should apply to any edge or vertex that have not another Sketcher linked
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

No doubt I have said this before, but you really need to get better acquainted with FreeCAD.
Draft_Edit and Draft_Trimex (extrude) may be of interest.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm ...
The video is just a reference. In the video the creator is editing their solid edges creating a Sketch+ Extrude then Boolean Section and apply Part Design features, a lot of work just to edit a single line.
Hmm...this certainly is not the way my workflow goes. It seems convoluted and not a good workflow, at least for me.

With the Inverse Edge linked should be possible edit the vertex and edge in the image above instead use the menu edition
As I said, I'm not sure I understand what you think an Inverse edge is. But, dragging an edge or extruding an edge that was, for example, generated by a Pad operation, sounds like a recipe for a buggered up model. (with or without tnp)
I mean, edit everything with Sketcher WB, doing this any object completely parametric model
I make, and have made, many completely parametric models.

Also, with Topological naming problem solved soon this should give us the 1.0 version and FreecAD could be advertised as a 100% parametric model including imported models non-freecad-based like blender or sketchup or IFC formats.
As Ive said before, fixing tnp is very important for workbenches that, by nature, have to use generated geometry (TechDraw, Path, etc.). But, when it is fixed, it does not make randomly attaching sketches to generated geometry a good workflow. It is a recipe for sloppy modelling, hard to maintain models, and models that are hard to follow.
Edit: I forget mention that the Sketcher not necessarily need be mapped to the face, can be used any custom orientation like the normal workflow, the Constraints should apply to any edge or vertex that have not another Sketcher linked
But, this is perfectly doable as is. Or, maybe I'm just doing it wrong... :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm
As I said, I'm not sure I understand what you think an Inverse edge is. But, dragging an edge or extruding an edge that was, for example, generated by a Pad operation, sounds like a recipe for a buggered up model. (with or without tnp)
actually, the Sketcher Edge Linked shows a line Red for External Edges when should be Blue for non-constructive because is not editable edge, the correct color should be Blue. For Inverse-Edge-External should be first possible to edit external geometry since Sketcher and then use the color RED for Constructive Constraint and all other operation should work, and if the Inverse-Edge is added then any geometry linked to another Sketcher should have color Blue.

... basically is similar to Curves WB, a Sketcher could manage XY plane and another ZY

maybe this is possible with extra steps as the video and another workflow, but with this, we reduce the size, complexity, time, and that we could include imported files, also reduce work for devs because this allows managing all other features without additional code...

here a comparison:

1) there is no option for Part Design Chamfer to manage angles, at least not in my 0.20 version

then if we wish to edit the edges we should do here, IMO, is SKetcher ZY -> Sketcher -> Extrude -> Boolean Section

2) with Inverse-Edge-Linked we just use 1 Sketcher

also, we could manage each vertex like this that is not possible with extrude:

... Basically, this feature is integrated Blender or Sketchup to FreeCAD.

without mention that this applies to imported files from any other software.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Once again, I don't see your point. And, still don't know what and inverse is or would represent in a sketch.

White lines are geometry that is used, by the modelling engine, to create solids.

Blue lines are construction line that aid in the creation of the white lines.

Red lines are external geometry.

The colors have meaning. A simple glance at the color indicates what the line is and how it behaves.

:roll: