Is Freecad good for 3D printing?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterRobinson

Is Freecad good for 3D printing?

Postby PeterRobinson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:09 am

Good afternoon,
FreeCAD is a free and versatile parametric 3D design modeler with computer support and building information modeling software with finite element method support. Recently I am planning to use this software for work, but I don't know if this software is good to use? Hope anyone can let me know.
Thank you.
chrisb

Re: Is Freecad good for 3D printing?

Postby chrisb » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm

With every 3D parametric modeler there is something to learn, you need a certain way of thinking. Of course there are complaints, that things could be better, but often this comes from people who mainly expect FreeCAD to be like some other software they know, hoping they can get the same for free.

There is one major drawback, the topological naming problem, where you really have to learn how to create stable models. Once you have mastered this, the world of 3D models is open for you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RatonLaveur

Postby RatonLaveur » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 pm

I would add simply that Yes, FreeCAD is good for 3D printing. You can easily generate.stl files and you can also very well control the accuracy (tesselation) of your .stl file.
The rest (slicer, printing) will be done outside using extremely potent printing programs like Ideamaker or Prusaslicer or....any of them really.
Bance

Postby Bance » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 pm

SPAM