FREECAD CERTIFICATION DONE BY ME (UNOFFICIAL)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

DO YOU WANT AN OFFICIAL FREECAD CERTIFICATION?

YES
80%
NO
20%

Total votes: 5
TECNICO CAD CAM

FREECAD CERTIFICATION DONE BY ME (UNOFFICIAL)

Post by TECNICO CAD CAM »

Hi. I am an Italian user. I'm using a translator now. I've noticed that many people in the FreeCAD community (Facebook ; Forum ; Reddit ) ask if it's possible to get a certificate of the software to show in their CV. Unfortunately it doesn't exist. So I have created one. It is a static PDF. My dream would be to make it free and accessible to all those who want to try to learn this fantastic free software. Please make it editable. So that any person can download it from home online for free is they can edit the necessary parts so that they can have a diploma to show : to say "Hey. I know a little bit about how a CAD program works did you see that ?" More so for students who will want to look for a job while not having the money to afford paid CAD software. I refer to this section of the Forum for those who want to understand what I mean: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=31408.
P.S = Create a stamp to make it official or make it a signature. I don't know if there is a FreeCAD CEO :)
Thank you for your understanding
Hopeful that this project will come to fruition soon,
I send you cordial greetings
Attachments
FreeCAD CERTIFICATION EXAMPLE UNOFFICIAL.pdf
(573 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FREECAD CERTIFICATION DONE BY ME (UNOFFICIAL)

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think it would be good to have such a certificate. Main questions: what kind of skills should such a certificate prove?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TECNICO CAD CAM

chrisb wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 pm Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think it would be good to have such a certificate. Main questions: what kind of skills should such a certificate prove?
Thank you for your welcome. I don't know. This is open source software made by volunteers working on its development. It is used by people who have never tried prototyping a 3D component or who are new to filament or resin 3D printing. Perhaps the competence of knowing the basics of this software such as navigating the graphical interface; having followed some tutorials of this Forum to become familiar with modeling an object to be able to 3D print. The basics of any CAD CAM software, paid or not. Then you could increase the degree of difficulty by requiring to know Python modeling or to contribute to the implementation of features within the software to obtain the certificate of FreeCAD Expert Programmer or FreeCAD Expert. It's all utopia for now. It would be nice though :)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I agree with @chrisb, maybe certifications would be nice.

But, who gets to decide what skills a person needs to get such a thing?

What industries or companies would accept it as a valid indication of competency?
(Since it is not in use for a significant number of companies...)

And, I'd note:

I have been a member of this forum for almost 10 years.

I routinely hang out in the FreeCAD Discord, Gitter/IRC, and Reddit rooms.

And I am the moderator for the Facebok FreeCAD group (nearly 9 thousand members at this point).

I have seen maybe 1 or 2 people asking about certifications or certification programs.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TECNICO CAD CAM

You're right. This is an impossible goal to achieve. Neither Meshmixer have a certification. I thought it was possible. I was wrong.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:14 pm But, who gets to decide what skills a person needs to get such a thing?

What industries or companies would accept it as a valid indication of competency?
Such a certificate gets its value from the reputation of the institution or person issuing it.

To plan something like that - what should be the contents of a FreeCAD course, how can it be tested - would be an excellent topic for some workgroups on a FreeCAD conference.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Sometimes not even the reputation or power of the issuing institution implies much.

Back in a dim past, a roll of toilet paper was more valuable than my Microsoft certification. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 pm Back in a dim past, a roll of toilet paper was more valuable than my Microsoft certification.
:lol:
And it lasts longer.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 pm Sometimes not even the reputation or power of the issuing institution implies much.

Back in a dim past, a roll of toilet paper was more valuable than my Microsoft certification. 8-)
ROTFL :-)

Anyway not all the certification are "paper toilet" :-): IE in the Linux world, LPIC (Linux certification) are very valuable also today for work carreer.

That said: IMHO it's very premature to get a certification program on a SW that it's not even large based used or noticed on the mass. So here it's better to get interest from people and especially money for developer to work even more full time to FC. My model it's not Blender, but i'd like to imagine FCAD like Ardour for the music, opensource and free but also susteinable for people that "work" with that professional SW. Just my 2 cents :-)

For the OP (Original Poster): se vuoi puoi aprire un thread anche nel gruppo italiano :-)
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 pm

At least you can still get MS cert during a pandemic lockdown panic buying rush...unlike toilet paper! :lol:

Dunny paper, bog roll.