PartDesign, when I click on the last feature, why highlight the Body?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

PartDesign, when I click on the last feature, why highlight the Body?

Post by freedman »

I know it's taken along time to get the tree/3D screen selections to work correctly so I don't want to rock the boat but I can't figure out why we need the last feature selection to highlight the Body. I know there is a kind-of linkage between them. The highlight is annoying when working on a model, if I want to edit the last feature and click on it, the object gets highlighed and is harder to see. I also know that I can change the highlight color and brightness, but I still don't understand why we need this, it's not consistant with other feature selections.
Thanks
drmacro
Veteran

Re: PartDesign, when I click on the last feature, why highlight the Body?

Post by drmacro »

freedman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:15 pm I know it's taken along time to get the tree/3D screen selections to work correctly so I don't want to rock the boat but I can't figure out why we need the last feature selection to highlight the Body. I know there is a kind-of linkage between them. The highlight is annoying when working on a model, if I want to edit the last feature and click on it, the object gets highlighed and is harder to see. I also know that I can change the highlight color and brightness, but I still don't understand why we need this, it's not consistant with other feature selections.
Thanks
Are you saying the Body in the tree gets highlighted or the body in the 3D view gets highlighted?

"I know there is a kind-of linkage between them" Umm...indeed, the last feature in the tree is the "tip", it is the representation of accumulated features before it in the tree. None of these features standalone, it is a single solitary model (as if all the features are welded together, they are a part of the whole). The Body represents this and IS the thing that can stand alone as the solid. Actually, it's not a "kind-of linkage" it is an extreme bond. :mrgreen:

When you click on the last feature and it highlights in the 3D view, it is because the solid is the whole Body, up to and including the last feature.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

When I want to edit a model (normally the last feature) I click on the last feature in the tree, this highlights the entire Body in the 3D. I get property info to edit the feature (not the Body) and the 3D highlights, I don't know why.

I understand that it's the sum of all the parts but from a working standpoint I would rather not have the highlight. If I single click on any of the other feature the highlighting is quiet as I would expect, I don't see anything unique about the last feature. If I want to see the sum of the Body then I will click on the Body.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

freedman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:23 pm When I want to edit a model (normally the last feature) I click on the last feature in the tree, this highlights the entire Body in the 3D. I get property info to edit the feature (not the Body) and the 3D highlights, I don't know why.

I understand that it's the sum of all the parts but from a working standpoint I would rather not have the highlight. If I single click on any of the other feature the highlighting is quiet as I would expect, I don't see anything unique about the last feature. If I want to see the sum of the Body then I will click on the Body.
But, if you click on the last feature, it is the current shape of the Body. That is why it is highlighted, it has the unique property of being the Body.

In fact, the Body is a container object that is actually a proxy for the tip. Technically, when you click on the tip, you aren't seeing the actual Body object (object, as in object as in a structured defined in object oriented programming terms). In other words, the Body object actually has no visual representation, because it is a proxy container for the accumulated features that have culminated in the tip.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I can see from the tree structure that when the Body is clicked-on it highlights everything, like Datum Planes and such. I guess my biggest issue is that it works different than selecting the other features so I have to rewire my brain every time I select the last feature. I think the difference is program design vs the worker, when I'm working I don't care about the proxy stuff, I'm more interested in work flow and I click on a feature to modify it. I think I brought this up once prior, my request was to highlight just for a moment (to express the Tip) and then change back to normal. Also the standard highlight defaults (on my machine) make the object so bright that I can hardly see any object. :)

Maybe in the future we can get a Tip indicator and we could change the highlighting. I see that realthunder has done that but once again I see a bunch of selection highlighting that I don't like in his work. :)

I'm working on a macro "feature toggle" that will turn off last feature highlighting (if it has a sketch), maybe I will try the short flash concept and get some feedback.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Which selection mode do you have selected in View->Tree view actions?
I don't think it's a matter of Tip, it is rather what is visible. If you make a previous feature visible you see the same things as before with the visible feature instead of tip.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I don't think it's a matter of Tip, it is rather what is visible.
chrisb Your right. Now I will need to rethink the forum Subject for sure, and what the highlight is all about and what it does for the user.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any diffeence in the view modes if I just select from the tree and stay out of the 3D.
Thanks