Its not possible edit Downgraded/Upgraded Objects in FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jtm2020hyo

Its not possible edit Downgraded/Upgraded Objects in FreeCAD

Post by jtm2020hyo »

After 1 year of using FreeCAD, I found just a Workbench that can edit some Downgraded/Upgraded Objects at least partially, Design45 WB.

So, I have this question, Why It's not possible to edit Downgraded/Upgraded Objects in FreeCAD?

Some samples:

Draft Point ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Vertex

Draft Line ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Edge

Part Solid ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Solid

...etc, I mean any tool that can edit Draft Lines/Polylines, these same tools can not edit Downgraded/Upgraded Edge/Wires.

... until I understand, Object from Draft WB, Part WB, Part Design WB, etc, are basically Pre-Casted Objects that can just be edited by their own WB tools, but the native objects like Edges, Vertex, Wire, Faces, Shells, or Solid (native Objects) are basically abandoned.

is there any strat that FreeCAD is managing maybe related to backward compatibility? if yes, very sure will appears a dead end like happens actually with AutoCAD (and their variations like AutoCAD Civil, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP, etc) by Autodesk-Revit, and if well is cool have pre-casted objects, when we need a custom object or import an object, is a pain work those objects, no matter what software is.

I did a post-request related to this:

Code: Select all

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59323&start=10
What I request here is basically add support for Downgraded/Upgraded Objects, Pre-Casted Objects, and Imported Objects, in Sketcher WB, and if possible use Sketcher WB in everything to give parametric features to everything, IMHO it's a possible solution.

PD: Design45 WB basically is the equivalent to SketchUp but in FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Its not possible edit Downgraded/Upgraded Objects in FreeCAD

Post by chrisb »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 am Why It's not possible to edit Downgraded/Upgraded Objects in FreeCAD?
Because the nice guy who implemented it without any payment implemented it in an addon workbench and not in FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

They are 2 completely different approaches based on the fact that Object and Shape are 2 diffent things. An object contain its Shape.
So an Object (AKA DocumentObject) is defined by Properties. Properties are used to generate the Shape(the BREP definition of the shape of the object that is stored inside the Shape property of the object).

In alternative you can directly edit the Shape and reassign it to the object overwriting it's original Shape property. But that's not a parametric workflow, and it's not what FreeCAD is primarly aimed to. That was the experiment you are referring to. Why it's not in the core of FC? Because it's not complete and it still need a lot of work: when you edit a sub element of a Shape (for example a Vertex of a Solid), the entire cascade have to be re-built (Vertexes -> Edges -> Wires -> Faces -> Shell -> Solid -> Compsolid). And, even if with simple Shapes it works, there are a lot of cases where it fails.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

carlopav wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:38 am
In alternative you can directly edit the Shape and reassign it to the object overwriting it's original Shape property. But that's not a parametric workflow, and it's not what FreeCAD is primarly aimed to. ...
Do you could share me the method to edit such Shape directly? With this I could try help.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:29 pm Do you could share me the method to edit such Shape directly? With this I could try help.
here you have it: https://github.com/MariwanJ/Design456/b ... eak.py#L98
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 am Draft Point ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Vertex
Draft Line ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Edge
Part Solid ≠ Downgraded/Upgraded Solid
try "extract sublink" in lattice2 wb. ;)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (7.95 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

GlouGlou wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 pm try "extract sublink" in lattice2 wb. ;)
Lattice2 have any feature to upgrade Raw objects to WB Objects?

Something like upgrade a Raw Wire Object to Draft Polyline or Raw Solid Cube to Part Cube Object.