[Ticket #4728] Local update function/button

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

[Ticket #4728] Local update function/button

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

With elevated eyebrows and over time, I've been watching forum members expressing their wish for a way to stop FC from updating everything and the response usually is: stop it all or let it rip! Since these are the modes possible at the moment.

With that in mind I'd like to propose a nifty "local update"-function/button, working like this:

- When clicked/marked/activated it only allows updates up to whatever is marked as tip.
- When clicked/marked/activated update can only be triggered when a special button is clicked and stops at tip.
- This also stops any automatic update outside the sketcher when leaving it. Sketcher internally shall ofcourse behave as of today.

Is it a lot of work to implement?
Any unsung heroes out there?
Any knights in shiny armour on an equally blazing white stallion?
A banner driver bold and brave enough to step up and proclaim: I'm the unsung heroe of your dreams!

:lol:
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Local update function/button

Post by openBrain »

I don't see any advantage over :
* Disable the global recompute
* Manually recompute needed items on demand
Pauvres_honteux

Re: [Ticket #4728] Local update function/button

openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 am * Manually recompute needed items on demand
Well, there is a very nice to have / less time consuming / less click prone middle ground here and that is what I propose.

With my request we get three levels of recompute:
- Everything
- Up to tip
- Individual features

Actually, I would go even further and argue that the manual individual feature update is unnecessary and should be replaced by an automatic update of the individual feature directly connected to the sketch in question, when leaving the sketch, but shall stop there and not update any further.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 am Actually, I would go even further and argue that the manual individual feature update is unnecessary and should be replaced by an automatic update of the individual feature directly connected to the sketch in question, when leaving the sketch, but shall stop there and not update any further.
Maybe I misunderstand, but shouldn't it be the other way: if you change a sketch then things depending on the sketch have to be updated?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 pm ... if you change a sketch then things depending on the sketch have to be updated.
Exactly! And here we are discussing exactly when to update what and to what extent.

Expressed in other ways:
- leave sketch and do not update anything. I'm not sure this variant adds anything useful to the user?
. leave sketch and auto update the single dependent feature, then stop updating. I.e. the feature directly depending on the newly closed/left sketch.
- leave the sketch and auto update up to tip.
- leave the sketch and auto update everything.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I understand now :? and at least up-to-tip seems useful: I don't care much about other bodies while developing this one. And the same may hold on the feature level.

While talking about recomputes: I would like to see a red recompute button which does two things: mark everything to be recomputed and perform the recompute - just what the good old macro ForceRecompute did.
I don't see much usage for marking the whole document and then not recompute.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Maybe a solution would be place a button "Suspend recompute" that could be hit when the user "is focusing" on a "limited part of the model" and "defer the recomputing of the whole object" at a later time, maybe checking when opening the file is some recomputing is "left for later" or adopt a "recompute on close" strategy if this "suspend button" is pressed.

It is user to choose and instruct FreeCAD that:

- I'm modifying some part of the document (I hope that the document is big enough to "deserve this treatment")
- I know that "on closing" some time is spent as a consequence of this action.
- I know that "it's my fault" if I not hit the "recompute button"

whatever strategy is chosen

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Pauvres_honteux

onekk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:43 pm ... when the user "is focusing" on a "limited part of the model" and "defer the recomputing of the whole object" at a later time ...
= another way of expressing "update til and including tip"?
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauvres_honteux

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 pm ... mark everything to be recomputed and perform the recompute ...
I don't see much usage for marking the whole document and then not recompute.
Hmm, could it not be sufficent to just recompute directly when clicking the "recompute button"?
I'm thinking on what information the markings could add to the user when he/she already have decided to recompute and set his/hers mind to do so?

Wouldn't you agree that adding markers is a bit like stating the obvious (you really want to recompute) at that stage.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 pm Wouldn't you agree that adding markers is a bit like stating the obvious (you really want to recompute) at that stage.
Sometimes the marks are helpful, especially when recompute is switched off.