Part Design - how to automate certain steps

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
stefanino

Part Design - how to automate certain steps

Post by stefanino »

HI all,
coming from Fusion I'm used to have actions normally one-click away. Is it possible to automate Part Design such that when a feature is selected for a sketch it will automatically enables the sketch instead of waiting for the OK button to be pressed?

Cheers
Stef
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Part Design - how to automate certain steps

Post by drmacro »

Fusion FreeCAD

It is a different paradigm.

Trying to force FreeCAD to be something it isn't (and other software workflows) will be a continuous source of frustration.

That said, I don't understand. :?

When you double click on a sketch in the feature tree, it opens the sketch.

When you click on the sketch it is selected and you can adjust it's properties in the Property pane, that now shows, for example, the sketch attachment.

When you click on an actual feature in the feature tree, for example, a Pad operation, you are selecting the Pad. And again, can adjust things in the Properties pane.

Double click on the Pad, and the dialog to adjust those properties is presented.

How would the program know/assume you wanted the sketch to be opened, when you click on the Pad?

Even harder to guess the users intent if you are suggesting clicking in the 3D view. 🤔
Last edited by drmacro on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Off topic here, drmacro could you reduce the size of your emoji, it takes up a full screen. Here is an attached pic. Thanks
Attachments
big_head1.PNG
big_head1.PNG (57.42 KiB) Viewed 784 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

freedman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:46 pm Off topic here, drmacro could you reduce the size of your emoji, it takes up a full screen. Here is an attached pic. Thanks
Fixed...but on my screen it looks minuscule. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:12 pm Fixed...but on my screen it looks minuscule. :roll:
In FreeCAD style they look huge. I have made a proposal how to fix it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:01 pm ...
In FreeCAD style they look huge. I have made a proposal how to fix it.
Ah. That explains it, I don't use FreeCAD style, I use prosilver. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 pm Ah. That explains it, I don't use FreeCAD style, I use prosilver. ;)
The prosilver css contains a style to scale these svgs. It has to be added to the FreeCAD css.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
stefanino

Post by stefanino »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:39 pm Fusion FreeCAD

It is a different paradigm.
Hi drmacro,
yes I'm well aware of that. I'm not necessarily asking to change workflow but I'd like to understand if there's a different, maybe faster, way to do some basic things I'm doing.
In my original post I was referring to a new sketch to be created, not an existing one. To create a new sketch, you have to first select a feature as a plane for the sketch AND THEN confirm with OK. The latter seems redundant.

cheers,
stef
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

stefanino wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm To create a new sketch, you have to first select a feature as a plane for the sketch AND THEN confirm with OK. The latter seems redundant.
There was a discussion about that, perhaps even a feature request, to confirm with a double click in the list.