Is there something lika a "globe" or "sphere" workbench?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Robomike

Re: Is there something lika a "globe" or "sphere" workbench?

Post by Robomike »

mario52 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm helix ? or ellipse (cylinder cut by one inclined plane)
:?:
I mean the dimensions. Like in "Asteroids" back in the days. Everything what left the screen on the right reappeared on the left and vice versa. Or bottom / top. Or both. (Not intended to sketch on a moebius band, not yet. Wait.... )

Michael
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

All workbenches depend the core of FreeCAD for their operations. FreeCAD is essentially 100% based on ordinary 3D Cartesian coordinates. In turn FreeCAD depends heavily on the OCC kernel for geometric calculations. I believe that OCC is ordinary 3D as well.

Therefore it would be more or less impossible to create an ordinary workbench for FreeCAD that was based on a spherical coordinate system.

I worked a lot with spherical coordinates in my career, and I understand the benefits for some applications. However, I do not see any sensible way to convert FreeCAD into a new coordinate system.

It is certainly possible that a workbench could be developed to better address spheres, toroids, etc. But the underlying geometry would need to remain Cartesian. (IMHO)

Gene
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Well, i do not think so. FC Is really modular so you can theoretically plug in some other library instead of OCC that work on non cartesian coordinates for the object definition, and deal with it's COIN cartesian visual representation...
Just pure fantasy at the moment though :-)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

carlopav wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am FC Is really modular so you can theoretically plug in some other library instead of OCC
You need more than one smiley for that comment.

Here ya go.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

carlopav wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am you can theoretically plug in some other library instead of OCC
That's a BIG theoretical, you could, but which library? Who would take up such gigantic task? It would basically be rewriting half of FreeCAD if not more.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:08 pm
carlopav wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 am FC Is really modular so you can theoretically plug in some other library instead of OCC
You need more than one smiley for that comment.

Here ya go.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gene
Ahah, i appreciate It!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design