[Feature Request] add user.cfg restore points

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

[Feature Request] add user.cfg restore points

Post by 937 »

I've had it happen twice now that uninstalling a workbench deleted my user.cfg file. Today the CubeMenu workbench did that. Not cool. Luckily I thought to use Windows restore this time and that worked.

So for things like that and random bugs I'd like to see user.cfg restore points.
Last edited by 937 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Please add user.cfg restore points

Post by onekk »

+1 to have at least a way to save and restore preferences, after having done some modifications.

Sometimes the UI is messed up so maybe a restore preferences button or menu will be useful.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] add user.cfg restore points

Post by chrisb »

Is there a way to prevent addons to delete the whole config file? I'm sure they don't do it intentionally, so asking back may be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.

Post by 937 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:27 pm Is there a way to prevent addons to delete the whole config file? I'm sure they don't do it intentionally, so asking back may be sufficient.
I've tried to recreate the deletion now. I wasn't successful so I can't guarantee it was the addon that did it.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

The CAD-program I use at work utilize the principle of several config-files instead of one single.

I guess it makes it easier for the IT-department to lock some of them so us users can't make a mess thus keeping things look and behave in a consistent way.

Maybe splitting it up in some smart way could be a way forward?

Side question: "Restore points" = different versions of the conf.-file?

Post by 937 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:04 am The CAD-program I use at work utilize the principle of several config-files instead of one single.
I don't know what I'd use that for on a regular basis.
Side question: "Restore points" = different versions of the conf.-file?
Yes. Maybe that can actually be done with a macro? Say have the program create a backup copy of the config file upon closing, in user-chosen intervals, or after a user action?

Related discussion on the findConfigFiles macro, and integrating that into FreeCAD: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=29888