Alternative input methods - DIY Augmented Realtiy pencil

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cybersoya

Alternative input methods - DIY Augmented Realtiy pencil

Post by cybersoya »

Hello to all

This is my first post on this forum and i hope it is in right category.

I am wondering, does FreeCAD support other input methods besides mouse and keyboard?
I am thinking about devices for sketching purposes.

It would be nice if it supported android tablet connected via USB as free digital drawing pad.

Another input method that occupies my mind is alternative to devices like Sensible PHANToM Omni, a "reverse" mini robotic arm with pen attached which picks coordinates of the pen.

I imagine a reconfigured Augmented Realty software, with a simple pencil (to be held in hand, not in robotic arm) with "QR"code printed card attached to it's tip and a camera able to recognize a position of "QR"card. As i understand smartphones can do it, so PC wit USB webcam can do it too. Instead of drawing augmented reality objects on the spot of "QR"card, it would just pick a position of "QR"card attached to pencil and send its (approximate) coordinates to PC and to FreeCAD to facilitate free-form drawing of 3D lines (which could latter be used to make surfaces from a series of sectional edges - drawn with AR-pencil).

What do you think, is idea feasible? For start, how can FreeCAD pick coordinates data flow from another software(AR software)? Are there some "doors" in FreeCAD to facilitate connections with alternative input devices?

[https://delfthapticslab.nl/wp-content/u ... m_Omni.jpg]

edwilliams16
Veteran

Re: Alternative input methods - DIY Augmented Realtiy pencil

Post by edwilliams16 »

cybersoya wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm

I am wondering, does FreeCAD support other input methods besides mouse and keyboard?
I am thinking about devices for sketching purposes.
FreeCAD supports the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/3Dconnexion_input_devices