Sketcher add a collision detection request

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sedatkrn

Sketcher add a collision detection request

Post by sedatkrn »

If the collision controller is added to the sketch area, you can facilitate some basic designs.

https://twitter.com/tc_ulgen/status/1405139682917289989
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sketcher add a clossion dedection request

Post by Kunda1 »

Please add [Feature Request] to the title of the thread. Please also a 3-4 more lines explaining the feature in more depth. (Not everyone will click on the clip or fully understand what you're trying to achieve)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Looks like a request for adding tangents to sketcher?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sedatkrn

Post by sedatkrn »

The sketch section has a very strong analysis. Sometimes in 2-dimensional mechanical designs, the collision inspection will be added to be added to designing or designing mechanisms. for example the two of the two circles. Thus the movement of the mechanism is better visible. thus making better mechanism design. you can add left menu clossion dedection radiobox. :)
Attachments
Ekran görüntüsü 2021-06-22 09545444.png
Ekran görüntüsü 2021-06-22 09545444.png (319.85 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, but it is still not clear to me what this collision detection should do. Is it an animation?

BTW: Could you please correct the typos in the subject of the first post, as it is used by search engines as the title of the topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

If I understand this discussion, this is an attempt to use the solver as an animation/collision (linkage kinematics) tool.

If that is so, I believe it is what I often see as a misunderstanding of what the sketcher is meant to be.

From the Sketcher wiki first paragraph: "The FreeCAD Workbench Sketcher Workbench is used to create 2D geometries intended for use in the Workbench PartDesign.svg PartDesign Workbench, Workbench Arch.svg Arch Workbench, and other workbenches."

Linkage kinematics is typically shown as lines riding/anchored to other lines and detection of lockups, etc. is analyzed.

While the lines and constraints in Sketcher resemble this, and the math of the solver may be similar, linkage analysis is a particular field and certainly not what Sketcher is intended to address.

A specific workbench, IMO, would be a better approach. Rather than attempting to shoehorn features of other disciplines into Sketcher. (And, may be addressed by some of the work that has been done with assembly workbenches...)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jonasb

Re: Sketcher add a collision detection request

Post by jonasb »

I think one can use Sketcher pretty well to simulate 2D kinematics. I use this in combination with Asm4 and I'm quite impressed with the results.

In order to have a real ridged body simulation, please take a look at the "Dynamics" Workbench currently in development. Discussion at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39165
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jonasb wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:26 pm I think one can use Sketcher pretty well to simulate 2D kinematics. I use this in combination with Asm4 and I'm quite impressed with the results.
I can use a hammer to put in a bolt as well...doesn't mean I should or that the hammer is the most effective tool for the job. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sketcher can be helpful in some cases, but there has to be invested quite some time to detect and report collision, but what is wouldn't be a general solution abyway, because the sketcher is strictly 2D.