Call for Participation: Modeling Challenge

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Call for Participation: Modeling Challenge

Post by sliptonic »

Anyone up for a challenge?

Here's an opportunity for a non-programmer with modelling skills to contribute to FreeCAD:

This is a typical milling vise. They're made by many companies, most famously 'Kurt'. The model I used for the pictures is too large and complicated and made from .STEP files that are likely copyrighted. I would like to add a feature to the Path workbench where a user can enable vise visualization so they can see a part and toolpath in the correct orientation as it will appear on the machine (second picture).

Vises and machines vary and I want to implement my feature so the user can use their own vise/machine model but having a default vise is needed. If someone wants to contribute a model, here's what I'd like to see:
1) It needs to be small and efficient. No super-complicated designs that are huge or easily broken.
2) use only core FreeCAD workbenches and features. It needs to work "out of the box"
3) Beautiful, accurate, and branded with the FreeCAD logo / Name.
4) The base and jaw should be separate parts so the jaw can be repositioned relative to the model.
5) Original work
6) Ideally, the placement of the vise would have the left top corner of the back jaw at 0,0,0

What do you think?
2021-06-21_13-23.png
2021-06-21_13-23.png (26.48 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
2021-06-21_13-30.png
2021-06-21_13-30.png (18.47 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
hhassey

Re: Call for Participation: Modeling Challenge

Post by hhassey »

Do you have dimensions we could work with for the intended part?
How complex does it need to be? I am assuming not very as that would add processing difficulty with no real benefit correct?
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Could have just 4 parameters = Height,Width,Length and Jaw position?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

These vises come in a lot of sizes but the most common are 6 inch width across the back jaw.
Now before I hear a lot of complaining about "oh you Americans and your 'Freedom Units' " I'm perfectly happy if the default vise dimension is either parametric or fixed at 150mm. :lol:

The parametric value that I really care about is the one that controls how open the jaw is. For example, in code, I'd like to say, vise.opening=30 and have the opening set to 30mm.

I'm attaching a model for a RotaryTable that I'm working on. If you set the properties in the PropertyBag, the trunnion and table rotate appropriately.
Attachments
RotaryTable.FCStd
(527.48 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Should the origin be on the fixed jaw(mandible?) or the movable one?

Confused non-machinist :lol:

And is there an FC logo already modelled?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Bance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:57 pm Should the origin be on the fixed jaw(mandible?) or the movable one?

Confused non-machinist :lol:

And is there an FC logo already modelled?
Yes. The fixed jaw. The vise gets bolted to the machine table and 'located' on that point. Then you can open the jaw, put in the material with a corner aligned to that fixed reference point. Now the machine's coordinate system matches the coordinate frame of your tool path and "Bob's your uncle"

Try this for a FC logo.
Attachments
logofile.fcstd
(67.07 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Bash this around a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
vise.png
vise.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Attachments
MillingVise2Bance.FCStd
(325.71 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
mendy

Post by mendy »

Some images with sizes can be had at search mill vise images and also at Amazon hhip mill vise. I have the 3" one.
Note: not all parts are able to be located at that point and you forgot to include the parellels under the part in the vise. :D

By the way still using your TechDraw videos.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

That looks good!

I changed it by moving the parameters to a propertybag instead of the spreadsheet. I like the propertybags because the user can adjust the values in the task panel instead of needing to open/switch to the spreadsheet. It makes the object feel more like a parametric 'thing'.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with the clone/fusion. I tried to move the base, screw, and logo into a Part and move that part and a Jaw part into a Vise Part but it breaks when I move the clone/fusion.

BTW, smoking and gambling are 'vices' but 'vises' squeeze. :lol:
Attachments
MillingVise2Bance-2.FCStd
(330.51 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:49 pm BTW, smoking and gambling are 'vices' but 'vises' squeeze. :lol:
One of the language quirks is that the British workshop squeezer is usually spelled "vice". :shock:

This is often seen in model engineering forums.

Gene