[Feature request] Let Addon Manager show current and available version of an add-on

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mnesarco

Re: [Feature request] Let Addon Manager show current and available version of an add-on

Post by mnesarco »

a.l wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:03 pm Yes, I did once - and now I just did again - but it breaks e.g. when I activate Assembly 4, but when I read previously that it was a POC then I did not spend more time on trying ExtMan, but just disregard my comment.
My main motivation for the post/comment was simply to give my point of view on how to get the ball rolling.
Something is regarding the add-on/package manager features and something else is regarding getting the smallest set of properties(meta data) that would let the add-on/package manager work.
But I like the UI of ExtMan. It is looking friendly from a user perspective.
Ok. About the error, ExtMan cannot activate workbenches that was not installed with ExtMan, that is because... Yes because the missing metadata from the AddOnManager Installation :D If you just update it with ExtMan, the missing metadata will be autogenerated.
chennes
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Let Addon Manager show current and available version of an add-on

Post by chennes »

Just an update that the metadata standard we discussed up-topic has been merged into the main repo, and I've just submitted a PR with an update to the built-in Addon Manager that implements basic use of that Metadata. I consider this PR the first of a series, as we start to figure out what features people want to see. For example, I'm not displaying tags, or the version number of the update, but both of those things can now be added very easily.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com