Optics Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
christi

Re: Optics Workbench

Post by christi »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:05 pm I know, perhaps we can start improving these as we go along?
If somebody knows how to add return values ans parameters to the documentation, I would greatly appreciate it when he or she is doing this.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

christi wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:32 pm If somebody knows how to add return values ans parameters to the documentation, I would greatly appreciate it when he or she is doing this.
An example: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... y.xml#L171
look at like 177 as an example
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L177-L188
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
christi

Post by christi »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:09 pm An example: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... y.xml#L171
look at like 177 as an example
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L177-L188
I am not sure if these .xml files are editable or autogenerated.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Source_documentation tells us to edit the comments in C++.
btw. We should not discuss this in this thread.
christi

Post by christi »

Snells law has been implemented. Lenses are working.

cadcam

Post by cadcam »

1st, Wanted to say I think the wb is/will be an amazing addon to FC. Excellent news about 'Snell's law@, lenses etc. [Will you be adding wavelength, polarisation effects?]

2nd, Can I just check how it is expected to be used. [NB This may be my incompetence with Assembly 3 ( +Optics WB)]. I had a 3D assembly of a source (nom laser diode), cylindrical transparent rod('lens') and mirror [WIll upload when next on that machine], generated using Assembly 3. When I tried to use the assembly as a layout for Optics WB there seemed to be some interaction and things didn't work, should it? If yes I will persever and try again! I hope it is just my setup as being able to build a 'mechanical' assembly with optic elements driven from a spreadsheet and then being able to see the mechanical layout and optical paths (?Images) from the same model would be really nice

Many Thanks for the work
christi

Post by christi »

cadcam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:04 pm 1st, Wanted to say I think the wb is/will be an amazing addon to FC. Excellent news about 'Snell's law@, lenses etc. [Will you be adding wavelength, polarisation effects?]

2nd, Can I just check how it is expected to be used. [NB This may be my incompetence with Assembly 3 ( +Optics WB)]. I had a 3D assembly of a source (nom laser diode), cylindrical transparent rod('lens') and mirror [WIll upload when next on that machine], generated using Assembly 3. When I tried to use the assembly as a layout for Optics WB there seemed to be some interaction and things didn't work, should it? If yes I will persever and try again! I hope it is just my setup as being able to build a 'mechanical' assembly with optic elements driven from a spreadsheet and then being able to see the mechanical layout and optical paths (?Images) from the same model would be really nice

Many Thanks for the work
I have no plans for additional features, but I will fix bugs if there are any. Can you share your design ? Then I can have a look what is going wrong.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Enhancements:
Ability to assign different colors to different rays
Ability to manipulate via the spreadsheet (integrating Spreadsheet WB)
Representing data points on graphs (integrating the Plot WB)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:20 pm Enhancements:
I posted an example that included using expressions, so spreadsheet alias should already work.
christi

Post by christi »

Ability to assign different colors to different rays
This is already possible. Go to the view panel of a ray or beam and change the line color.
I prefer manipulating via Python scripting. You can watch the .py files in the example folder how it works.
Representing data points on graphs (integrating the Plot WB)
Which data points would you like to see on a plot ?
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... perhaps some kind of off topic.
Last days I red an article in "Spektrum der Wissenschaften" 8.21 about the ESO project ELT
"Extremely Large Telescope" with some 40m diameter and 798 hexagonal 1.4m-mirrors building the main mirror.
Knowing that regular hexagonal tiling is only possible on a plane, I wondered how they do that on a paraboloid.
From fabrication standard they should be equal in dimensions , but with a different paraboloid shaped grinding.
https://elt.eso.org/mirror/M1/#mirrors-m1-segments
The Array of the mirrors is also a hexagonal pattern, which can be reduced to a 1/12 basic according to the shown pictures.
But arranging this mirror "grid" could be some riddle - and designing in FC a little bit more.

ELT3.PNG
ELT3.PNG (65.47 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Attachments
ELT_3.FCStd
FC.18.4
(587.3 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Last edited by hammax on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.