[feature request] Sketcher mouse selection options

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LibrEars

[feature request] Sketcher mouse selection options

Post by LibrEars »

Hi All,

while constraining a repetitive path I was annoyed by clicking so many single lines with the mouse over and over again. Is there a way to select multiple lines with the mouse without selecting the points or vice versa?

Here are some pictures and Ideas on how to implement a smart selection by using mouse and keyboard combinations:

Selecting only points with the 'selecting square' of the mouse '+Ctrl'
selection_only_points.png
selection_only_points.png (141.44 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
selection_only_points_selected.png
selection_only_points_selected.png (28.96 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Select only lines with the 'selecting square' of the mouse '+Ctrl + Shift'
selection_only_includedLines.png
selection_only_includedLines.png (139.13 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
selection_only_includedLines_selected.png
selection_only_includedLines_selected.png (28.8 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Attachments
selection_example.FCStd
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [feature request] Sketcher mouse selection options

Post by chrisb »

Smarter selection mechanisms may be desirable, but very often should such regular sketches, where you need it, better be designed differently. E.g. in your case I would recommend to sketch only one rectangle and use a pattern on the created feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

I'm with @chrisb in that my first thought was "I hope that's not how the OP models radiator cores" (or other example repetitive work), I personally would definitely be using a Draft Array either after a Sweep if this was pipework or on the Sketch of just one 'S' bend.

But back to the request, here's a proposal that only applies to Box Selection and excludes BSplines. I still need to add the UI functions because this will need to be easily switched but where in the Task Panel will no doubt be subject to many a debate.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comp ... 6:patch-27
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Added checkboxes to Edit Control section of task panel:

BoxSelectionUIProposal.png
BoxSelectionUIProposal.png (22.04 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Nice work! :D
LibrEars

Post by LibrEars »

Woah that commit was fast! Nice! I was wandering if we should not touch 'shift' as it usual helps when selecting several objects. Maybe there is already some sort of similar mouse+key combination/standard known from other FOSS programms to alter selection behavior (Inkscape, Blender, LibreCAD...). Does soemone knows?

To the off-topic:
jtm2020hyo wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:50 am [Proposal] Merge Draft WB and Sketcher WB
Maybe we should add this to the discussion about combining sketcher and draft : As a beginner I do not want to leave sketcher simply because it feels like I have to learn another tool (draft in this case). So I used copies and copies of copies to quickly repeat the pattern. Of course an array is way more efficient and also parameterized. Since I consider sketcher as the ultimate place for parameterized 2D drawings it could make sense to add the array feature (an array out of clones, mirroring, rotation..) into the sketcher / solver...
Last edited by LibrEars on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am To the off-topic:
Then open a new topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am Woah that commit was fast! Nice! I was wandering if we should not touch 'shift' as it usual helps when selecting several objects. Maybe there is already some sort of similar mouse+key combination/standard known from other FOSS programms to alter selection behavior (Inkscape, Blender, LibreCAD...). Does soemone knows?
You do realise it's only in my forked branch and not even a PR yet? I use Blender most days but the others very little, if I was any good at C++ I would have created the equivalent to Blender's Circle Select method as that is my go to when I've got many scattered verts/edges/faces to choose. I'd say for now stick to something fairly simple, experience tells me that as soon as a feature request morphs into a project then it grinds to a halt.
LibrEars

Post by LibrEars »

I wanted to express my admiration for your hands on attitude ;) - and I agree to start simple. Unless there is an easy way to share code between the projects (https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... cting.html). Maybe someone knows if the navigation style 'Blender' was realized as a sort of code sharing. It is one of my favorite feature of FreeCAD that you can chose different 3D navigation styles.

Syres wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am here's a proposal ...
In terms of selection sometimes it is also hard to get the constrains selected. Would it be easy to add a third option to your suggestoin (Vertices, edges, constrains)?
LibrEars

Post by LibrEars »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:22 am
LibrEars wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am To the off-topic:
Then open a new topic.
Sorry for that. I now cited the original topic for the off-topic in my last post and cited the last post in the other topic...