where do you see FreeCAD main focus go towards?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cekuhnen

Re: where do you see FreeCAD main focus go towards?

Post by Cekuhnen »

I cannot edit the previous reply in my phone hence a new post sorry

Part design and part work bench evolved separately and kids serve even two different needs but both lack common abilities.

For example blend for loft.

How would something like this be tackled with the freecad developers?

Or is this something also real thunder looks into and contributes ?

I mainly ask so I could get a better understanding how the development is being done.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm How would something like this be tackled with the freecad developers?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm I cannot edit the previous reply in my phone hence a new post sorry

Part design and part work bench evolved separately and kids serve even two different needs but both lack common abilities.

For example blend for loft.
To some degree, this is a matter of presentation. I.e. Part and Part Design are typically presented as independent tools. And, for new comers it is best to do this to avoid initial confusion.

If, for example, the Part Design Body is viewed as a specific way to produce arbitrary shaped primitives. Then the Body is just another "thing" to be used in Part workbench. (It is a common idea for people to not understand that any "thing" (a cube, a cylinder, an extruded sketch) in Part are completely independent solids, until the user adds some dependency. To make a single solid out of 2 or more, there needs to be a Boolean operation for example. In this thought model then the Body is just another thing that can be used in Part.

It also happens that the Body can be used as a container for a component and each Body can be a single stand alone component because it is, by default, a cumulative solid.
How would something like this be tackled with the freecad developers?
As mentioned in other posts, and as RT did, see a problem that needs fixing, and have the skills to fix?, grab your tools and get to work.

But, this produces things like the RT branch, which is under the direct control of one person and whatever his motivations are. It also, when there is no guiding force, produces a herd of cats. And, as can be found in the plethora of macro sets, workbenches, etc. when the prime mover looses interest, (or even dies) then it becomes a dangling participle.

As for the loft, etc. it may well be an OCC issue, and as such, only gets fixed if a developer can offer a pull request to the OCC folks (and they decide to use it) or if they for whatever reason decide to fix it.
Or is this something also real thunder looks into and contributes ?
As noted above, if he gets motivated. In fact, there are quite a lot of his fixes and additions added to 0.19.

I mainly ask so I could get a better understanding how the development is being done.
By a handful of folks, in there spare time, not in any particular order, or mandate.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm I mainly ask so I could get a better understanding how the development is being done.
I think you do not really grasp the quantity of work done by the devs. Just compare 0.17 and 0.19 and you will see the mountains of work that happened.

It is done by people on their free time and without being paid for that.

Yes TNP is a very huge problem, but do not expect a team of devs working on it 10 hours a day for weeks, because that is not the reality.

When comparing FC with Rhino, Fusion, etc. you compare pears and apples.

When saying why not just merge RT branch, do you think for a second that it is that easy ?

You seem to be impatient for the development of FC, and we all are. But unless you can code, you will have to wait for devs to work so that you can enjoy a free software.

If you cannot code, then you can help another way. I cannot code well enough to participate, so I help on translation, I answer questions other users have on the forum if I can and I inform if I find a bug.

But without being an oracle, I can say that just posting "FC should do this", "FC should have that", "Why not throwing master branch and just use RT branch as main" is not helpful, nor useful.
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:57 pm
Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm How would something like this be tackled with the freecad developers?
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

dxp.dev wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:14 pm
Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm I mainly ask so I could get a better understanding how the development is being done.
I think you do not really grasp the quantity of work done by the devs. Just compare 0.17 and 0.19 and you will see the mountains of work that happened.
I quite clearly understand - you just misread my question.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I think realthunders branch is a great example of what is possible! His version gets everyone fired up and saying lets do that. His code has shown many that with a good solid CAD core we could have his version.
Personally, I want my version, it's different than realthunders in the Gui sense. This is what the developers here are allowing the typical user to do by building a good core and allowing access to the code. The typical user might not not be a coder but if you want something bad enough then you either learn how to code it or pay someone to do it, just like so many other things in life.

I worked on a project (using FreeCAD) for over a month almost daily. I sit down and my computer pops up in a resume and can go to work in 10 seconds. In that month I never once restarted my PC, just doing resumes and working. That's the kind of core code that I want to use, it might not be the most powerful but stability is worth a lot. I know SolidWorks folks that still crash and reboot a few times a day. Granted SW has really powerful tools but I am tired of working with unreliable core code. The Solidworks folks have had over 20 years to fix there product. I don't see that attitude here.

Just a couple days ago I walked into an office and asked the ME to bring up a SW view, Crash! How many times today I ask, his reply, this is the second time today. Geez! Now a reboot and try to remember what he was working on.... what a POS.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

Only because something is commercial it must not be the best either.
Adobe and SW are good examples.
Or Fusion360 which has all bells and whistles yet still suffers from bad sketcher issues since its inception.

I think some folks here instantly get defensive and refer to questions I did not even ask.
I am quite aware that RT's work is his and you cannot just copy and paste code and make it work.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I think by asking a question with "main" and "focus" you get something that can't be answered so people write stuff. The core folks want the core running well, the GUI folks want the program easy to use, after that it's just a bunch of users that can add stuff easily around the core. It's designed to be a generic base so there is no main or focus.

I hope in 10 years it looks exactly like it does today only it works better, that way when I make my Gui mods they will still work well.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

true but i think one has a choice to be neutral / polite or condescending way.

it is something I noticed a lot in this forum specifically - but this is a different story and not for this thread.

Anyway I got a good idea about how the dev work here happens now.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University