where do you see FreeCAD main focus go towards?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cekuhnen

Re: where do you see FreeCAD main focus go towards?

Post by Cekuhnen »

I do not know anything about FEM so I cannot judge it.

My main reason why doing this also because Kunda1 asked is to provide a view perspective as an industrial designer.
majority of work I see in the forum as well as online is mechanical design.

now this can be a chicken or egg question and maybe it is wasted time.
but not always can you expect something to work out when you try it.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Cekuhnen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm My main reason why doing this also because Kunda1 asked is to provide a view perspective as an industrial designer.
majority of work I see in the forum as well as online is mechanical design.
If you look in the Draft, Arch BIM you might get a different perspective. Maybe the BIM stuff is a large minority?

I think it comes down to FreeCAD master does not have a lot of "native" assembly or surfacing tools in the GUI. Here you must develop Workflows/Workarounds with the add-ons to get your work done. I guess I echo drmarco and andyk on this point.

I personally don't mind the references to other software, with the stipulation that FreeCAD doesn't aim to be a clone of any other package. Sometimes a "translation" from what I'm used to and what FreeCAD does is useful.
"fight the good fight"
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

not spot on topic, but the same theme, i.e. it is hard for newcomers to get a condensed overview of what the state of affairs actually is on fc capability & functionality.
in my book it does not have to be super accurate, since it will always be a moving target anyway,
but it could be a much better starting point than "look at the tracker or browse the forum and find out for yourself".

maybe what you do could be used as a first skeleton to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55687?
or maybe something like this should be a new category, something like "workflow descriptions", or a "how do I..."
with the target audience being people that know cad in general, so not newcomers to 3d modelling.

just a thought - since I think that the wiki is really where write-ups like this should live (and hopefully be maintained).

chris is right in that a document like this (have not read it myself - so have no opinion about content itself) does not create code,
but at least I am of the opinion that it can lower the threshold for someone deciding to bite the dust and actually start coding,
and fc benefits from having a larger base of people willing to at least think of starting to dig into the code base.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

heda wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:33 pm maybe what you do could be used as a first skeleton to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55687?
or maybe something like this should be a new category, something like "workflow descriptions", or a "how do I..."
with the target audience being people that know cad in general, so not newcomers to 3d modelling.
That's a very good thought.
I was just this morning thinking if maybe a chart
when I need to do this - I have to do all this in FC could be a much better way to illustrate it.

I am really not new to learning software - I do it as part of my job - FC was a hard nut.
This could easily scare away people or they overlook something.

Some of my interior design students looked at FC and closed it basically instantly.
I am a long time Blender user so I never had an issue with custom non conformal UIs.

Interesting point also if this story telling would help more that the tracker.
In consumer research honestly data is less useful to communicate than a good story.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is going more and more off topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@chrisb, we can split it up.

@Cekuhnen please create a new topic and we can summarize the efforts you've made in it so far, about the spreadsheet.

@keithsloan52 would you be OK if we started a new thread discussion with your succinct post as the seed post?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Cekuhnen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 pm
heda wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:33 pm maybe what you do could be used as a first skeleton to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55687?
That's a very good thought.
I was just this morning thinking if maybe a chart
when I need to do this - I have to do all this in FC could be a much better way to illustrate it.

I am really not new to learning software - I do it as part of my job - FC was a hard nut.
This could easily scare away people or they overlook something.

Some of my interior design students looked at FC and closed it basically instantly.
I am a long time Blender user so I never had an issue with custom non conformal UIs.

Interesting point also if this story telling would help more that the tracker.
In consumer research honestly data is less useful to communicate than a good story.
I have been misquoted here, please can somebody correct the quote and attribute the correct person.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

keithsloan52 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 pm I have been misquoted here, please can somebody correct the quote and attribute the correct person.
Done
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

@Kunda1

Do you have a Thread name suggestion?

What would you like it to focus on?

Comparison ?
Process/Workflow step by step matrix ?
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:37 pm @chrisb, we can split it up.

@Cekuhnen please create a new topic and we can summarize the efforts you've made in it so far, about the spreadsheet.

@keithsloan52 would you be OK if we started a new thread discussion with your succinct post as the seed post?
Okay for split