[Help] Tasks that are currently needed to be tackled

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Help] Tasks that are currently needed to be tackled

Post by Kunda1 »

Just making a list of high priority tasks (besides the heavy stuff like TopoNaming and the other hundred or so open PRs and open bugs in our tracker.

Our Continuous Integration service, TravisCI is discontinued. We're looking at gitlab as an alternative, @PrzemoF is spearheading that effort in this thread. If this is something you can help with, please make yourself heard on that thread.

Our forum, running on phpbb, has some needed maintenance we should address (issue queue)
emojis are broken
the video bbcode tag is broken thanks kkremitzki!
the breadcrumbs are not visible
themes are broken

Some translations in FreeCAD itself are missing (in other words they aren't being exposed correctly to the translation system). All of these occurences are being tracked in the FreeCAD-translations repository, Translations are happening at https://crowdin.com/translate/freecad/
Do you want to help these efforts, please jump in and start.

Thanks
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Help] Tasks that are currently needed to be tackled

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:10 am Our Continuous Integration service, TravisCI is discontinued. We're looking at gitlab as an alternative, @PrzemoF is spearheading that effort in this thread. If this is something you can help with, please make yourself heard on that thread.
I'm interested in helping but ATM I'd like that what @PrzemoF is testing become the official way, because at this time there could be only one central repo where several runners can be bound to and PR can be distributed among them (I guess).
Our forum, running on phpbb, has some needed maintenance we should address (issue queue)
emojis are broken
the video bbcode tag is broken
the breadcrumbs are not visible
themes are broken
Also may try to help but as far as I can see, forum sources aren't present on the link you gave, so probably it needs some special access rights.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:49 am Also may try to help but as far as I can see, forum sources aren't present on the link you gave, so probably it needs some special access rights.
Do you know anything about SASS ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 pm Do you know anything about SASS ?
Nothing. :lol: But I borned knowing nothing about C, C++, Python, HTML, PHP, CSS,... :mrgreen:
doia

Post by doia »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 pm Do you know anything about SASS ?
I think the question was more about where is the source code for the forum located, to help with improvements.

There is no easy way to find information about the current forum (& wiki) setup, self-hosting vs sass. For the wiki there is a note that one needs an account requested here in the forum. For the forum it is not even clear, which version is in use. The Readme on FreeCAD/FreeCAD-WebServices indicates a self-hosted env, but not really self explanatory.

Maybe you could give or link more details.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have already made a proposal concerning the huge emojis. I can include it myself, but I would need access to the sources.
I can probably fix some of the other issues too, but as not even my first poposal is included, I'm afraid I did something wrong, so it my be useless to to add more.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

doia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:55 am There is no easy way to find information about the current forum (& wiki) setup, self-hosting vs sass.
SASS is not SaaS. ;)
doia

Post by doia »

Sorry, my misunderstanding. But my remarks about lacking information holds.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

doia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:55 am Maybe you could give or link more details.
In FreeCAD-Homepage repo specifically
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Home ... rum/styles
there are 2 theme config directories

freecad
freecad-dark

in each of those there exists a theme/ subdirectory
in each theme/ subdir there are scss and css files. scss files are the ones we edit using Sass which then generate the css file as output. For the emojies I submitted a fix a while ago in this commit. But it didn't work because i never generated the counterpart css file. But I'm confused:
a) as to what file that would be (common.css ??)
b) i get an error

Code: Select all

/* Error: Undefined variable.
 * 64 |     font-family: $font-family;
 *    |                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 *    '
 *   _common.scss 64:15  root stylesheet */
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:34 pm a) as to what file that would be (common.css ??)
Doesn't seem bad as 'smilies' is also defined in this one
b) i get an error

Code: Select all

/* Error: Undefined variable.
 * 64 |     font-family: $font-family;
 *    |                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 *    '
 *   _common.scss 64:15  root stylesheet */
I don't think the error is particularly due to this variable. This is just the first variable of the file. Variable values seems to be defined in '_style_config.scss' but I don't know how the inclusion mechanism is supposed to work.