Testing Topological Naming (as requested by @wmayer)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Testing Topological Naming (as requested by @wmayer)

Post by Kunda1 »

For those who aren't aware, wmayer publicly has asked for help testing @realthunder's Topological Naming PR which is also part of his LinkStage3 branch. Citation (link)
Screenshot_20210801_154748.png
Screenshot_20210801_154748.png (127.1 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Unless you're a power user and feel comfortable compiling the Topological Naming PR from source, there is no easy way for users to test the Toponaming branch other than using the realthunder's Daily build

Therefore, I'm also interpreting wmayer's request as testing @Realthunder's LS3 branch available from https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases since he's constantly fixing bugs reported by users. Those bug fixes that are related to Toponaming have been and will be added to the open TopoNaming PR.

Note: We're not sure where wmayer is ATM but the least we can do is help him tackle this by trying to break RTs toponaming algorithm and report back.

I invite every power user to test the realthunder branch during the next several weeks. I also invite any user to test the LinkStage3 branch. Please respond below. Thanks!

Edit: reworded for clarity.

Edit2: For those worried about their configuration files (user.cfg & system.cfg being corrupted: it's a good habit to back them up (Use the macro named: Macro_findConfigFiles to locate your config files and then back them upmanually). The LinkStage3 branch writes it's own separate config files (in order to avoid clashing with the main FreeCAD master branch, they are stored in the same location only difference is they have link prepended to them: link.user.cfg & link.system.cfg
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: LinkStage3 Testing (as requested by Werner)

Post by chrisb »

Here is a first observation: In the realthunder version (subsequently abbreviated with RT) the GUI reacts very slow. To be seen especially when turning an object in 3D view.
RT: 6.5 frames per second
Master: 60 frames per second

RT:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.717.24301 +3842 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 44be6d539871be4083e83f428e8fcfbcf38408ef
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)

Master:
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25311 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c5524bb58a7126fa2242d6137eb82ee9d54e82d4
Python version: 3.9.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:58 pm In the realthunder version (subsequently abbreviated with RT) the GUI reacts very slow.
Make sure you're using his Daily build.
It may be the reason he implemented the experimental render engine that bypasses coin3d and uses Diligent Engine
Try enabling it Preference -> Display -> Render cache -> Experimental

ref: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p495950
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:08 pm Make sure you're using his Daily build.
That's what I'm testing.
It may be the reason he implemented the experimental render engine that bypasses coin3d and uses Diligent Engine
Try enabling it Preference -> Display -> Render cache -> Experimental
Slight improvement, but still far from master.
RT: 7.7 FPS.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Next difference:
Realthunder uses Windows style panel decorations, while Mac users usually want the Mac style (for all the money they have payed for their computers).

RT:
SnipScreenshot-d21701.png
SnipScreenshot-d21701.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Master:
SnipScreenshot-a5bef0.png
SnipScreenshot-a5bef0.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Loading the SheetMetal object from this post shows errors if the suggested recompute on loading is done. It shows only warnings without the recompute. The model loads fine in master

Code: Select all

14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Body
14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Box
14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Box
14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Bend
14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Bend001
14:35:47  <PropShape> PropertyTopoShape.cpp(412): Pending recompute for generating element map: forum_sheetmetal_offset#Bend002
14:35:51  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/cb/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalCmd.py", line 1067, in execute
    thk = sheet_thk(Main_Object, face[0])
  File "/Users/cb/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalCmd.py", line 304, in sheet_thk
    selItem = MainObject.getElement(selFaceName)
<class 'ValueError'>: Shape index 36 out of bound 10
14:35:51  Recompute failed! Please check report view.
LHC

Re: LinkStage3 Testing (as requested by @wmayer)

Post by LHC »

Just wondering -

Is this something that relative newcomers can try out as well by downloading something that is already built and that won't bork their freecad configuration file and other aspects of the main branch they are using/learning with? Obviously they have to be somewhat more than a brand new noob to understand the topo issue and how to avoid/trigger it in the main branch.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I believe this is the link, latest release is at the top of the page, the files are a little ways down. Correct me if wrong and I will edit this post.
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases

I will work on this as much as I can. Thanks
Last edited by freedman on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

freedman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 pm I believe this is the link, latest release is at the top of the page, the files are a little ways down. Correct me if wrong and I will edit this post.
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases
that is the latest of the rt branch, right? is that what wwmayer was referring to?

how does that relate to being merged with main since it's not merged with main?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

LHC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:43 pm Is this something that relative newcomers can try out as well by downloading something that is already built and that won't bork their freecad configuration file and other aspects of the main branch they are using/learning with?
One of the quirks of FreeCAD is that the same user configuration files are used for all FC installations. It is possible to select alternates with a command line start, but if you don't specifically do that then there could be some corruption to your standard files.

In any case, I would save the user.cfg and system.cfg files before trying a totally new version.

Gene