FreeCAD Showcase/Design Display Portal

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OncleMac

FreeCAD Showcase/Design Display Portal

Post by OncleMac »

Hi Guys...

I was wondering if we could have an online portal for all FreeCAD designs as a way to motivate and inspire other designers.

Since FreeCAD is open source, I was thinking we could use PixelFed, as it is an open source Instagram alternative.

What say you?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Showcase/Design Display Portal

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is an ongoing discussion in the forum to add such collection to the wiki for showcase purposes. However, someone has to set it up, and someone has to pay for it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
OncleMac

Post by OncleMac »

Cool but won't the wiki be a bit closed?

I was picturing something like Autodesk Gallery, where every person has account dedicated to his or her models. The person could use that as a portfolio in a sense.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

GrabCAD has a FreeCAD section. The overwhelming majority of designs in the Community section of GrabCAD are made with Solid Works, but there is some activity in the FreeCAD section.

GrabCAD as well as AutoCAD and many others are commercial in nature. It costs money to properly run such a "gallery", and those companies view it as part of their marketing efforts.

FreeCAD does not have any spare change. The wiki is already paid for.

If you know a funding source for a gallery, carry on.

Gene
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think Aleksander Sadowski is working on something...lemme see if I can find it...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55386
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

there is always a personal account on Github.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
OncleMac

Post by OncleMac »

I actually had to google this. Looks like you are right. You can actually create a gallery in Github. Yet to try it though.

Link is here: https://github.com/gautamkrishnar/github-pages-gallery