How regularly is the archive with translations in crowdin updates?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Evgeniy

How regularly is the archive with translations in crowdin updates?

Post by Evgeniy »

I'm about this archive:

https://crowdin.com/backend/download/pr ... reecad.zip

It updates manually by Yorik? Or does it automatically after some time period?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: How regularly is the archive with translations in crowdin updates?

Post by kkremitzki »

If it is manual, it might be good to discuss automating it.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Updated *. ts files can be downloaded one by one from the Crowdin FreeCAD project page. But the assembly of the archive depends only on Yorik.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yorik has been doing it weekly but has taken some time off recently. I've done it but experienced some script issues so I deferred to yorik. We are due for another translation update, Can someone ping him to start back up again?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Maybe a little off-topic but when is a language translation considered for inclusion in the build? I know Bulgarian is just 28% complete but there is no incentive to continue since there is no visible result. Maybe show the percentage in the language selection dialog to inspire volunteers?
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

kisolre wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:16 pm Maybe a little off-topic but when is a language translation considered for inclusion in the build? I know Bulgarian is just 28% complete but there is no incentive to continue since there is no visible result. Maybe show the percentage in the language selection dialog to inspire volunteers?
Most of the volunteers do not know what Crowdin is and how it works. I think you can try to create a Bulgarian forum and agitate people to register there. You can also try to translate from Russian to Bulgarian. Perhaps this will simplify the translation. Crowdin shows all translations made in different languages. In a special tab in the middle at the bottom.
Last edited by Evgeniy on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:20 pm Yorik has been doing it weekly but has taken some time off recently. I've done it but experienced some script issues so I deferred to yorik. We are due for another translation update, Can someone ping him to start back up again?
Hi, Making archive is cool. But how to test it in FreeCAD?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=61350
Do new translations end up in weekly builds https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds ?

What you mean about ping? "Can someone ping him to start back up again?"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Evgeniy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:59 am You can also try to translate from Russian to Bulgarian.
Could be better than nothing, but flaws from the russian translation could lead to very bad further translations.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Evgeniy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:59 am Most of the volunteers do not know what Crowdin is and how it works.
\
I translated some strings there and in general I think I could translate a lot more reasonably well. But since for now I can't actually use the incomplete translation (it does not show in the languages list under Preferences) I really dont see the point of trying more. If I could change the language the non translated items would constantly bug me and I would put some effort to translate at least the things that I see most of the time. I dont have an issue with using the English ones but I would like to help with the Bulgarian translation.
Maybe there is a simple way to activate that for my local build only? But then are ALL translations pulled from Crowdin or only those that are in the Prefereences list?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:10 am could lead to very bad further translations.
I think that to be able to start translating the initial effort is quite low - just create a Crowdin account (or log wits other verification method) and start fixing things/translating new ones. So having bad/incomplete translation to start with is better that non at all.