Werner Mayer

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Werner Mayer

Post by wmayer »

wsteffe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:07 pm Hello Werner, I am also happy to see you here again.
If possible, I would like to ask your opinion about the TopoNaming PR.
The plan is to get it merged before the next release.
I am hoping to see that the gap between official FC and RT branch is going to close.
And I think that merging of TopoNaming PR would be a big step in this direction.
Well, I guess there always will be a gap between the official version and RT's branch.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Hi! and welcome back. :)
wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:37 pm ...
Well, I guess there always will be a gap between the official version and RT's branch.
This is just editorial thinking out loud...

The gap is quite large at this point, with a LOT of features that are quite desirable to many. And, many fear that it is ever widening.

It would be good to hear thoughts on why the gap should remain (licensing issues for the solver are probably a separate conversation). But, many things like the RT consistency of the sketch creation dialogue, additional options in the Pad dialogue, multiple solid Part Design Body, and many others seem to be desirable tools for FC overall.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Chris_G wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 pm Welcome back, Werner.
I was worrying a little.
I hope the break was beneficial.
The break was great and I could empty my head with all the FreeCAD topics.

I felt like I was trapped in a hamster wheel and the more I worked the more new work it created. So, I decided to not log-in to the forum and closed all my browser tabs (forum, Github, Mantis, ...) and do absolutely nothing related to FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:01 pm ... the more I worked the more new work it created. ...
sameproblem here, for each problem I solve two new arise ... This will for sure not change and is very difficault to handle ...
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Welcome back, good to hear that you enjoyed your break and appear to be refreshed and ready to kick things back into action.

I appreciate all you do and FreeCAD is better as a result of your efforts.
Last edited by obelisk79 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:01 pm The break was great and I could empty my head with all the FreeCAD topics.
This was beneficial for FreeCAD too as can be seen by the pace things are happening now. Glad to hear that you plan the toponaming stuff for the next release. What a tremendous task!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

I think freecad is wonderful as it is. In my opinion there is no time pressure to change anything. my only concern is the qt problem. is there a plan?

Greetings Thomas
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I am thankful that Werner is back, and more importantly, in good spirits and seemingly in good health.
Last edited by obelisk79 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

obelisk79 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 pm

I'm not sure if that was a response to my post, ...
no, it's just a response after about 3000 hours of freecad. it is commercially viable as it is. it is professionally, stable, fast, and powerful.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm I think freecad is wonderful as it is. In my opinion there is no time pressure to change anything. my only concern is the qt problem. is there a plan?

Greetings Thomas
But, on many occasions I see you noting that this or that can be done in the RT version. Or am I thinking of someone else?
(Please note I'm in the throws of a nasty head cold...currently not thought to be the pandemic, but, quite foggy still.) :(

Also, note I lobby for no particular change or schedule, I only seek information about the directions of FreeCAD.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."