[Feature request] Sheetmetal support for half cuts from each side and autoexport for lasercutting and photo etching

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kcleung

[Feature request] Sheetmetal support for half cuts from each side and autoexport for lasercutting and photo etching

Post by kcleung »

I am designing a sheetmetal part, which apart from being folded, it will also be sent off to be either laser-cut or photo etched

https://www.ppdltd.com/artwork-guide.html

In the case of photo etching, I will need to specify whether the subtraction of material is through, or half from the top side or half from the bottom side.

Then at the end, it would be nice if after specifying the color code of through, half top, or half bottom, I can then press a button and let the sheetmetal workbench to export a vector file for laser cutting, photo etching.

This would substantially save a lot of man hours of manually producing the required artworks for the fabrication of the part, not to mention eliminating a lot of human errors!

So can the above be done on the current sheetmetal workbench? If not, then should we lodge them as feature request?
thegavs

Re: [Feature request] Sheetmetal support for half cuts from each side and autoexport for lasercutting and photo etching

Post by thegavs »

Can I second this request please?

I use sheetmetal workbench for etching brass sheets and it would be a great feature!

Gavin
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Sheetmetal support for half cuts from each side and autoexport for lasercutting and photo etching

Post by Kunda1 »

x-post to the sheetmetal thread. It's mentioned in the SheetMetal Workbench GitHub README
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

If you're making say 1-10 different parts then this can be easily solved with a draft that shows which cuts are through and which cuts are etched and where, there is no need to get so complicated with layers within the geometry. More than that, yes, it would get tedious...