[Feature Request] Built-in parametric curve creation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Built-in parametric curve creation

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

I know that there is a 3D Parametric Curve macro (Macro 3D Parametric Curve) for FreeCAD. But I wonder why we couldn't implement it to make a built-in functionality from it ? After all, parametric curves are one of the core functionalities of CAD programs. Macros are easy to download and use but it also shouldn't be hard to implement this too. This way users wouldn't have to look for this functionality. This would also make FreeCAD look more complete without a lot of effort. The macro already has a toolbar icon so it should be even easier to add it to FreeCAD. And it's simple enough that it shouldn't need further improvements.

What do you think about it ?

By the way, what about the parametric curves for sketcher ? Is there any solution for that ?
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Built-in parametric curve creation

Post by NewJoker »

It seems that this macro’s author:

psicofil wrote:psicofil
is not active here anymore.

What’s the procedure in such cases ? Can I try to integrate the macro into FreeCAD and send a pull request from my GitHub to make it added to official FreeCAD ? Or is it more complicated ? Of course I would like to keep the references to the author of this macro to make it clear that I’m only implementing it.

Also, can you give me some tips on how to integrate such macro with FreeCAD (to turn it into a built-in functionality) ? Doing this seems simple but maybe I missed something.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:30 pm But I wonder why we couldn't implement it to make a built-in functionality from it ? After all, parametric curves are one of the core functionalities of CAD programs. Macros are easy to download and use
As you know there are several hundred macros available. I would guess that every single one of those macros was created by someone who thought the macro would be useful.

If every single macro was incorporated into the core of FreeCAD it would likely cause enormous bloat of the code, and perhaps conflicts in many areas of the code.

For me personally, I would not expect to ever use a parametric curve, based on the types of things I design and build.

The macro seems to be available and seems to work. What would be the improvement from adding it into the core of FreeCAD?

I am not opposed (and it would not matter in any case :lol: ), but the FreeCAD package is already up to 500 MB. Core additions should be carefully considered.

Gene
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:30 pm ... implement it to make a built-in functionality ...
Yes please!
NewJoker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:30 pm ... parametric curves are one of the core functionalities of CAD programs.
Amen to that!
GeneFC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:57 pm
If every single macro was incorporated into the core of FreeCAD it would ...
... send FreeCAD heaps and bounds above the competition! And make it waayyy more user friendly.

More implemented macros to the people! (and convert them into C++ in the process as well plus give their GUI some love while you're at it)
All-in-all a pretty decent feature request, I'd say.
Vive la revolution!!!
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 pm ... send FreeCAD heaps and bounds above the competition! And make it waayyy more user friendly.
Quickly grind FreeCAD into a broken unworkable mess of conflicting code. :mrgreen:

Gene
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:21 pm Quickly grind FreeCAD into a broken unworkable mess of conflicting code. :mrgreen:
Dunno about that... What are your proof for that statement?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Indeed, many add-on workbenches and macros are quite exotic and specialized so their integration with FreeCAD could cause some unnecessary confusion among users. Unless the modules and functions would be somehow "hidden" (in a separate menu/list so that they don't interfere with essential workbenches and functions like Part Design and its Pad feature).

In my opinion, implementation of such features like parametric curves or querying of mass properties (FCInfo macro) as well as such workbenches like Curves or sheetmetal (not to even mention the infamous assembly module thing) would be a large step towards closing the gap between FreeCAD and commercial software (and that's what we are striving for if we want to expand the userbase, right ?). When someone hears that FreeCAD doesn't have built-in assembly module, sheet metal modeling or parametric curves then he thinks that FreeCAD is incomplete as this just sounds bad that such crucial functionalities are not available by default.

When it comes to macros, their use is less convenient than that of built-in tools. Also, macros seem somewhat detached from FreeCAD's GUI.

Furthermore, it wouldn't be harmful for FreeCAD's download size to add those few crucial functionalities that I've mentioned. Because, as I said, most macros and workbenches can be treated as optional and intended for specific group of people.

Finally, we already have those functionalities working very well so it shouldn't take a lot of effort to implement them so that they don't require internet connection and dependency on github each time a user wants to download them for new FreeCAD installation.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:34 pm ...a large step towards closing the gap between FreeCAD and commercial software (and that's what we are striving for if we want to expand the userbase, right ?). ...
Who is the "we" to which you refer?

Last I checked there is no marketing department, no managers, no board of directors. No one beholding to stockholders to produce return on investment.

To quote Yorik from only a few days ago: "...I think, we have some very precious technical/community features that really are much a reason why it is so much embraced by the hackers/makers community, and that is really what brought FreeCAD here, and I think we should shrive to preserve that..."

That doesn't sound anything like "striving to be like commercial software to me. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

drmacro wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:55 pm
Who is the "we" to which you refer?
I knew that someone will ask this question. I was referring to the FreeCAD community.

drmacro wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:55 pm Last I checked there is no marketing department, no managers, no board of directors. No one beholding to stockholders to produce return on investment.

To quote Yorik from only a few days ago: "...I think, we have some very precious technical/community features that really are much a reason why it is so much embraced by the hackers/makers community, and that is really what brought FreeCAD here, and I think we should shrive to preserve that..."

That doesn't sound anything like "striving to be like commercial software to me. ;)
I didn't mean that FreeCAD should imitate commercial software. I just meant that if we (community, volunteers) want this software to be an alternative to commercial codes then we should provide features that will attract the attention of more engineers and hobbyists. This in turn will probably result in more people joining the development of FreeCAD (more users = chance for more helpers here). And that's the primary goal, right ? Unless there are currently enough volunteers in this community and there's no need for more people to enhance FreeCAD but I don't think that's the case.

P.S. I know several people who could help this community a lot (due to their programming skills, experience in CAD software and the desire to share their knowledge with others) but I can't convince them to use FreeCAD and those missing functionalities are one of the reasons.