[Feature Request] Radial array/polar pattern in Sketcher

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Radial array/polar pattern in Sketcher

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

I know that there is a Polar Pattern tool in the Part Design workbench but no such thing in the Sketcher (even though it has a Rectangular Array option already). I think that it could be really useful. Is there any feature request or macro for that ? Or is the Part Design Polar Pattern the only option for now ?
user1234
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Radial array/polar pattern in Sketcher

Post by user1234 »

No, for this purpose there is the polar pattern feature (in Part Design) or the Draft Array (for Draft or Part), so it make no sense. Also in the sketcher you would kill the solver with that.

Greetings
user1234
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

IMO. using polar patterns in a sketch, ignores the better workflow of using symmetry.

Using symmetry reduces complexity of the sketch, reduces compute time of the solver, and generally makes the sketch easier to read and sustain.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Yeah, but Symmetry seems more like a replacement for Rectangular Array. Besides, since there is already a Rectangular Array in the Sketcher, why not add a Radial Array too ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:13 pm Yeah, but Symmetry seems more like a replacement for Rectangular Array. Besides, since there is already a Rectangular Array in the Sketcher, why not add a Radial Array too ?
No as I said, it is better. Because it simplifies the sketch, simplifies and reduces the solver compute time, and make the sketch easier to read and maintain.

It also means that one change in the sketch is reflected in all the symmetrical solids, and thus simplifies modifications.

This is the same for rectangular patterns for the most part as well...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I think this request already exists in the forum, and maybe even in the tracker.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Considering there's already a rectangular pattern for some strange reason, I don't think this feature would be rejected if you implemented it, but for most other developers this would be very low priority since it's not the recommended way of doing patterns. And if you do implement it I would once again advise against using it often, sketches should be as simple as possible, generally patterns should be done outside of them.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Polar or Linear Pattern are dumb actions. You have to know dimensions or center.

Sketcher is a smart thing.
I can use RectangularArray, suppress dimensions and put the 'last' clone where I need it to be and everything follow.
I want the same with PolarArray in sketcher : set first and last clone and have the center computed.
I want to be able to use all the power of SKETCHER.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:58 pm I can use RectangularArray, suppress dimensions and put the 'last' clone where I need it to be and everything follow.
But it is not parametric :lol:
Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:58 pm Polar or Linear Pattern are dumb actions.
But it is parametric ;)
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Tools such as polar and rectangular pattern are made mainly for the convenience. I understand that they are not absolutely necessary since different modeling approach can replace them (and it might be even better for software performance and in terms of good modeling practices). But there are often cases when models are small (so there's no issue with performance or messy model tree) and it's convenient to use pattern right in the sketcher. After all, there's a reason why the sketcher of pretty much every CAD program has this option, and even in the sketchers of simple geometry modelers in CAE programs tools like radial pattern (or item rotation mentioned in my previous feature request) appear.