2022 FreeCAD (and free CAE) Users Conference

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Will you log into the 2022 FreeCAD (and free CAE) Users Conference from 12 to 14 January 2022?

1. Yes
50%
2. No
3%
3. Maybe
47%

Total votes: 34
Karolis

Re: 2022 FreeCAD (and free CAE) Users Conference

Post by Karolis »

Nope, trust me when I say that the Planar Multibody Dynamic Workbench will prove to be a very useful tool in its own right. That's because many 3D mechanisms only move in a plane, and can thus be fully analysed using planar multibody dynamics.

I definitely don't want to treat anybody separately. I'm a South African, and know that not having access to CAD & CAE tools because of high high costs (that are amplified with poor exchange rates) is a hurdle that FreeCAD nullifies. The fact that FreeCAD is not as hardware intensive as the Windows alternatives is of course another big advantage. So, I agree with what you say that everybody wins, because everybody and anybody can have access to excellent software tools. What's more is that the developer community also deepens!
lalberts

Post by lalberts »

LHC

Post by LHC »

Interesting development - I am awaiting the signup link 8-)

I just read somewhere that Fusion 360 has recently altered their "free" hobby version so that it only works with a single email address per year - then I came across this posting. Freecad will soon be the ONLY choice. So glad I started learning it months ago. And to Autodesk I say - keep right on doing what you're doing - soon you'll be forgotten and irrelevant.
Karolis

Post by Karolis »

lalberts wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 pm https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... _directory

may be some synergies?
Thanks! I will definitely advertise our FreeCAD conference on OSARCH's website.
Karolis

Post by Karolis »

Hi Everyone,

Here is the signup link for the conference:

https://hopin.com/events/2022-freecad-a ... conference

Click on the 'Join Event' button to register (and yes, it is indeed free to register & attend the conference :D ).

Please also spread the word about the conference!

Thanks!
Karolis

Post by Karolis »

Hi Everyone,

I have an idea for the 2022 FreeCAD (and free CAE) Users Conference of 12 - 14 January 2022 that I want to test.

I want the conference to be a showcase of FreeCAD’s ability as a CAD & CAE tool. The way I want to do this is to invite FreeCAD guru’s to show how different FreeCAD workbenches can be used to solve selected CAD & CAE problems that users of commercial packages can nominate. Please would you let me know what you think?

In terms of the format of the conference, I want to schedule a 2hour session (14h00 - 16h00 GMT+2:00) for each of the 3 days that the conference will run.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

@Karolis
Nice idea, have you already asked the "guru's" if they want to participate?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Small steps - A conference is a good start.

Dream of the day when FreeCAD comes close to the maturity of Blender and KiCAD.
For Blender see https://www.blender.org/news/blender-by ... bers-2020/
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

This looks very interesting https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63115

Wondering if they will have any traction by the time of the conference?
Karolis

Post by Karolis »

RedBaron wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:06 pm @Karolis
Nice idea, have you already asked the "guru's" if they want to participate?
Sorry for my late reply. I have sent an email invitation to 7 "guru's" at the beginning of October, but I have not received any responses.

I'm actually thinking of postponing the 2022 Conference to January/February 2023 and to change the theme of the conference to 'The Planar Multibody Dynamics (PMD) Workbench'. Thus far there has only been 9 registrants on the hopin page (for the advertised 2022 Conference), and I'm tied down with the development of revision 1 of the PMD Workbench, which is scheduled to be released by February 2022.

Kind regards,