[Bug?] Freecad 0.19 crashes when open a Drawing inside a Freecad file

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PatTropos

[Bug?] Freecad 0.19 crashes when open a Drawing inside a Freecad file

Post by PatTropos »

Freecad crashes totally (like shuts down) when I try to open serveral internal drawings (techDrawfile) from a freecad file. One internal drawing is working partly. It opens it , changes the Templates as I pointed them out but does not show any drawings. The others bring freecad to crash. and all happens in Windows as well as in Linux Mint. Any ideas?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
PatTropos

Re: [Bug?] Freecad 0.19 crashes when open a Drawing inside a Freecad file

Post by PatTropos »

here my linux version (had to change the system)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.14555 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.2)
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.15.3
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I see no possibility to validate or even comment without a file showing the issue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PatTropos

Post by PatTropos »

unfortunate I can not share the file , cause its restricted, under research and patent registration. Double sad :roll: for you as a community and for me, cause i might have to do the drawings again :(

As i read this
could this be related? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... -913579323
it really could be related.

I try to recreate the crash with a other file and check the link again of similarities.

Thanks anyways
a3bksll47

Post by a3bksll47 »

Maybe in some way relevant, maybe not:

With both 0.18 and 0.19 apps installed but not adjacent to each other in directories, I'll sometimes develop a drawing in 0.18 and the file grows to be a few MBs. And then I'll come back to it later, but open it using 0.19, and elements are scattered all over the place, similar to an exploded view. Not all of them but things I knew had been correctly placed all of a sudden are pulled away from the plane and dislocated but still in view.

Then I remember I had probably been using the earlier app version, close everything, and open up the same file in 0.18 and everything is in its correct place.

No app crashes or anything, but the data files are not being interpreted exactly the same way.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

If I remember correctly there was a point where changes were made in 0.19 that made some things incompatible with 0.18 files. But I thought it was once saved in 0.19 they didn't work when opened with 0.18.

0.18 is thousands of improvements and fixes past 0.19 it's hard to say what might be pertinent. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
PatTropos

Post by PatTropos »

a3bksll47 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 am Maybe in some way relevant, maybe not:

With both 0.18 and 0.19 apps installed but not adjacent to each other in directories, I'll sometimes develop a drawing in 0.18 and the file grows to be a few MBs. And then I'll come back to it later, but open it using 0.19, and elements are scattered all over the place, similar to an exploded view. Not all of them but things I knew had been correctly placed all of a sudden are pulled away from the plane and dislocated but still in view.

Then I remember I had probably been using the earlier app version, close everything, and open up the same file in 0.18 and everything is in its correct place.

No app crashes or anything, but the data files are not being interpreted exactly the same way.
Yes i pretty had the same issues as well but this time FC crashes.. .. maybe its related.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

PatTropos wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:44 pm Freecad crashes totally (like shuts down) when I try to open serveral internal drawings (techDrawfile) from a freecad file. One internal drawing is working partly. It opens it , changes the Templates as I pointed them out but does not show any drawings. The others bring freecad to crash. and all happens in Windows as well as in Linux Mint. Any ideas?
Any news? As you said you cannot share the file but you could load it into your Linux Mint version and then post the stack trace. This at least gives us a first hint what the problem could be.

To see the stack trace just start FreeCAD from a terminal.

NOTE: You must do this with the Linux version because the Windows version won't print a stack trace.
PatTropos

Post by PatTropos »

Sorry for now,
I needed to delete the failing Drawings in order to continue working. Thank anyway for the look out. If something like it comes up again I will post it here asap. for now I really think it was something with the different versions on Freecad
Cheers