Beltrami workbench for turbomachine blade parametric design.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
am138341

Re: Beltrami workbench for turbomachine blade parametric design.

Post by am138341 »

Thank you for the response. I read through the documentation to understand how the projection work. It is clear to me how the profile get projected to 3D directly now. Yet, I do not fully understand the fluid perspective in how it changes the blade thickness?

Are you suggesting that regardless of the blade normal thickness decreasing and then increasing, the fluid is seeing a constant decrease in blade thickness due to the projections?

Another artifact of the mapping from 2D to 3D is that the chord is not a symmetrical divide of the blade profile while the initial blade definition is. Consequently, the mapping is adding a chamber to the blade.

I am asking all these questions as I am interested in using this tool from a design perspective but the changes in blade chamber and inconsistencies in normal blade thickness from the defined blade profile confuse me.

Thank you
Sabm01

Post by Sabm01 »

Look at this picture:
The web of the 3D blade is in green.
The flow follows a stream line.
If for a given point on the stream line you consider a radius.
The thickness of the blade is added at constant radius on both side of the 3D stream line.
Depending on the local angle of the stream line, the mechanical radius will not have the same value on both side.
Nevertheless, the flow does see the "fluid thickness".
The "fluid thickness" in 3D is not a straight line it is an arc of circle.
You observe that the stream line projected on the Meridian virtual plane is the same for the web, the pressure side and the suction side.

Hoping it helps,
Michel
Attachments
ConformalMapping.png
ConformalMapping.png (164.25 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Michel Sabourin (Sabm01)
www.simturb.com
raspdroid

Post by raspdroid »

Hi, thanks for your job. I've gotten a little familiar and now I even find it funny. But I don't know how I can convert to solid. What object do I have to use to convert to solid? SurfIE ?

Do I have to convert it to mesh and then to solid? I've tried that but I can't.

Best regards
cfd243

Post by cfd243 »

Hello everyone,

what do you think about using gettext to create a translation for other languages. It would make it easier for people not speaking french, but the documentation is made in french too. So it also could make the understanding of the documentation worse.
Bangsbo Bunyip

Post by Bangsbo Bunyip »

raspdroid wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:24 pm /.../ But I don't know how I can convert to solid. What object do I have to use to convert to solid? SurfIE ?

Do I have to convert it to mesh and then to solid? I've tried that but I can't.
Despite being rather new to Beltrami, I found one method that worked. There is possibly room for improvement, but this is what I did:
  • Export the surface you mentioned, SurfIE from Filet3Die, to a STEP file.
  • Import it to Catia.
  • Add two lines connecting the trailing edge corners.
  • Cap the trailing edge with a surface.
  • Cap the remaining open two ends with surfaces.
  • ...and there you are.
I apologise for describing a solution outside of FreeCAD, but in my case, that was were the journey continued.
projeteurAD

Post by projeteurAD »

Hello all

Does someone have an optimized solution to generate a 3D solid shape of the blade please ?