"Soft" announcement: moving soon to freecad.org!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

"Soft" announcement: moving soon to freecad.org!

Post by kkremitzki »

Hello all, the time has finally come for a "soft" announcement of something that has been in the works for quite some time. I say "soft" because it shouldn't be widely publicized outside the community just yet, so that once all the work is done, we can have a proper announcement.

With the help of the KiCad Services Corporation, we have acquired the long-sought-after freecad.org domain. freecadweb.org has served us well all these years, but a new and improved domain is very fitting for this new and improved era of the FreeCAD project we are entering.

I have done some evaluation on the staging that is needed for this move. Unfortunately, several of the project services do not have proper multi-domain login session support. This means that a successful login will redirect a user to only one canonical domain for the service and secondary domain(s) for these existing services can only serve as read-only viewers or redirect handlers.

What does this mean for you all?

Currently, there are working freecad.org domains for all project services. Everything should work the same since the domains are pointing at the same servers, including logins, but the domain issue I mentioned means logging on on freecad.org may redirect you to freecadweb.org where you may or may not have a login session. Edit your address bar to remove the "web" portion of the domain, hit enter, and you should be sent back to the freecad.org service you were on with your login session correctly in place.

Besides this login problem, and e.g. hardcoded links to tracker.freecadweb.org on wiki.freecad.org sending you off of the proper domain, everything should function as expected. Please try things out and if you find something that isn't working, you can report it in this thread. If you happen to find something security-related, please send it to me in a PM.

Once any remaining issues have been taken care of, we will be ready for an official move-over. All active freecadweb.org login sessions will be cleared, and you will have to log back in to the services on freecad.org with your existing credentials. Existing freecadweb.org links out there on the internet will become redirects to the corresponding freecad.org resources so they continue to work.

Questions? Concerns? Comments?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chennes
Veteran

Re: "Soft" announcement: moving soon to freecad.org!

Post by chennes »

Kudos to you and the rest of the team for your work on this -- changing domain names is a huge undertaking, I'm excited that all of your work is coming to fruition now. Congratulations!
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Yes, absolutely, this is a great step forward for the whole community! Thanks to all who have worked on this!!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Cool, I've started my testing right away :D
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 pm With the help of the KiCad Services Corporation, we have acquired the long-sought-after freecad.org domain.

That's awesome. Did you (we) also get freecad.net ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Zolko wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 pm With the help of the KiCad Services Corporation, we have acquired the long-sought-after freecad.org domain.

That's awesome. Did you (we) also get freecad.net ?
Unfortunately not, when I had the thought to check if it was available and register it, I was about a week too late.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks great ! :D

I mostly used forum, then sometime github and bugtracker. The forum still pointing to forum.freecadweb.org at the moment right ?

Thanks for the great works, the domain name is much more intuitive for new comers!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The forum is one of the services that has its "domain" set to forum.freecadweb.org, so if you log in from forum.freecad.org it will redirect you to the "wrong" domain, you have to edit the address bar, remove the "web" part, and hit "enter'.

Besides the login, though, once you're on forum.freecad.org you should never get kicked away to forum.freecadweb.org. Links to other services like the wiki might be hardcoded in a way to kick you off the correct domain, too, those need to be identified and fixed.

One other thing to note about hardcoded URLs: for historical reasons we have redirects already working for freecad.org/wiki and freecad.org/tracker (also on the -web domain) which send you to the correct subdomain, e.g. wiki.freecad.org. One problem we will see is those relative URLs like /wiki/foo will continue to work on both domains, but if the URL has been updated to use an absolute reference like wiki.freecadweb.org/foo, it will need to be updated so it won't send people off to the wrong domain.

Hardcoded absolute references to subdomains like I just mentioned can simply be updated from freecadweb.org to freecad.org, but it would probably be better for me to first add a /forum redirect in addition to /wiki and /tracker and then standardize on this reference form. That will make it easy to set up staging deployments at e.g. freecad.io.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Awesome work team!
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 am [...]
Besides the login, though, once you're on forum.freecad.org you should never get kicked away to forum.freecadweb.org. [...]
That doesn't work for me. I've got pushed back several times.